Newbie installation

Hello!

I’m pretty surprised how much newbie guys reject ardupilot for Inav due to installation process.

With inav it is really simple. Just press dfu button, connect configurator and choose correct board from drop down.
It’s completely different what we have in ardupilot word.
You need: download firmware from website.
Take (surprise!!! ) inav configurator. Flash it. Take gcs software and so on…
So many new guys go to inav or betaflight.

1 Like

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback

I think that is really a misreading our documentation … as for newcomer we recommend to use MissionPlanner and that also a plug and click installation … there is no need to manually download firmware from our server.

I don’t know inav other than by name, do you have any idea to help us to improve for newcomer ? On documentation ? On process ?

1 Like

Yeah… But the problem is cheap boards has no ardupilot bootloader pre-installed.
Those guys need to flash bootloader and then use this nice feature from mission planer :slight_smile:

1 Like

It would be nice to make bootloader flashing process easier :slight_smile:

1 Like

how to use ? in Russia there is no access to firmware, you blocked a lot of addresses in Russia, I opened the topic here, and this was confirmed, but did not take action !!! @

Hello,

We don’t block a lot of address in Russia. We have just block some that were abusing of our servers for map data.

are you sure ???

“Russian internet” in action :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d just recheck my experience.
When board was initially flashed with ardupilot it is no problem to update firmware on it.
The problem is when you have brand new board with another firmware installed. This case it isn’t possible to install ardupilot to such board. Only case is download binaries and flash it with inav or betaflight configurator.

1 Like

I agree. So many new guys are intimidated by the archaic Mission Planner GUI compared with iNav, as well as the convoluted flash and set up process. It’s unfortunate, because Ardupilot is much more reliable in my opinion, and obviously more capable.

It would be nice if Mission Planner had a very basic mode for brand new users, somehow including the ability to use the boot loader already present on boards such as Matek. Maybe completely cut out the parameters list and remove the flight planning, simulation, and terminal tabs. Streamlining the set up process and offering a “basic mode” I believe would attract many more users to Ardupilot.