Newbie AUTO/mission questions

I apologise if this is somewhere explained already. I am new to Ardu and I am just to wrap my head around it.

So let’s assume I program some mission before take off (no take off waypoint) and have the first waypoint somewhere randomly placed.

Now I take off using take off mode and I throw the plane. Then I go to FBWA mode start flying around randomly.

Then I switch to AUTO mode to start the mission and at point when I switch the AUTO mode my plane is 200m higher then first waypoint altitude, 30km/h slower or faster, going opposite direction of the first point and 1km away from the first point.

Will the plane turn towards the first point and adjust speed and altitude according the mission point? Are there any limitations on how to enter the mission plan once in the air?

I am specifically asking this as I plan to configure auto land and nothing else and then at some point in time during the flight I plan to activate AUTO mode and hope the plane goes to the first waypoint for landing and follow the plan until landing.

yes. it will do all those things you ask. that is my experience, anyways.
i haven’t noticed any limitations on how to enter. i have NOT tested the behavior of entering mission mode while at or close to the 1st waypoint at an extremely different height - don’t know if it will skip 1st WP and proceed to 2nd, or try to accomplish 1st WP after some maneuvering.

Disclaimer: the assumption is that the plane has GPS lock when it enters auto mode - and preferably before it arms. also, assuming all the other correct setups are made so that nothing would hinder auto mode from working correctly in any circumstance.
and, btw, if you were to interrupt the “mission” after WP1 (or any other WP) to fly around in, say FBWA mode to do some fpv’ing, delay to avoid traffic, etc, THEN switch back to auto mode, the plane will pick up the mission at the subsequent WP after the completed one. it seems to have a memory of which WP’s are completed. however, i can’t recall the behavior if you interrupt after the do-land-start WP and before the landing.

another option: you mention taking off with hand launch and flying in FBWA mode… you could also program WP1 somewhere as a “loiter” WP (time,circles,indefinite) and the plane (in auto mode) will fly to WP1 after the launch and start circling. then you could take over flight when ready by switching to your preferred manual-type mode for some amnual-type flying. this would give you time to set yourself up to fly the plane (like putting on goggles, opening a beverage, etc).

I recommend using the simulator that is available in MP. Try to run your flight algorithm in the simulator and you will see how the plane flies. Here is a link to my video. I always solve my problems using a simulator SIMULATION in Mission Planner andTaranis7Q (youtube.com)
You can find a similar video in English and also read the guide