Newbee radio question

Newbee trying to configure a mower/rover. First radio question is: 433 vs 915, to communicate between base and rover. Its USA and I am a ham, so have extended 433 privileges. Thinking 433 at 500mw? Since total range is less than a mile, I suspect it really doesn’t matter?!?

for less than 1 mile you really don’t need much power, you could do that using 915 with less than 100mw.

It doesn’t matter. I used a 433 radio for awhile (have Ham ticket also) and there was no significant difference with 915. I lost that radio some years ago but I wonder what would happen when I key up on 70cm @50w

do you plan on going behind anything? 433mhz has much better signal penetration compared to 915mhz.

Yes in fact. My intention is to use it on a rover and there are trees, building, bushes, etc. By the way, I’m on a budget. Anyone found any cheap USB radios? The preferred ones appear to be the Holybro at $60/pair.

There are not any cheap Sik radios around anymore. When they were $30 I accumulated many of them.
Holybro or Mro seem to be the go to but I have neither.

Thanks for answering, I appreciate you. I will keep it in my mind.

I will keep that in my mind too.

I use both brands and they are solid. I had some firmware issues with mRo (shipped in bootloader mode and wouldn’t work until new firmware was flashed) but that was a simple fix and only seemed to be on one batch. I’d still buy them.

Stay away from all the clones. Based on the posts around here, some work, many don’t.

1 Like