New type sonar with NMEA out

Cheap sonars have appeared on the market, with a range of up to 6m, the minimum distance is 5 cm. I tested them by outputting data in nmea format (the readings are very accurate, as seen in the photo). These models come out under different names: L041MTW, L042MTW,GL041MT,GL042MT. More features on my Github. These sonars can be used in Sub to avoid obstacles. It can also be output via MAVLINK.

AlksSAV/Sonar-to-i2c-NMEA-: A cheap sonar project for autopilot based on Chinese modules. (github.com)

In the photo, the data is output via nmea 0183

2 Likes

Added a YouTube video with an example (in Russian)

Hi @rmackay9 , I think it’s possible to add information to the Wiki. I could prepare this on Github.

1 Like

Hi @McKey,

Thanks for this.

Any chance you’d be interested in writing a Lua driver for these sonar to allow removing the need for the external arduino computer? We have two examples of this for other lidar here.

I have this script for it but I havent been able to test it on a H7 controller, when it was made lua rangefinders wasnt a thing so i have added that option that but i havent tested it since.

2 Likes

Nice to see this project.
6m range is a bit limited IMO !

It’s enough to stop you running aground or for a fish finder but thats about it.

It depends on plan to do with sensor. For bathymetric survey, it’s limited :wink: