New Member - Hope to purchase "Consumer" Iris

Hi all:

New here so sorry if this post is in the incorrect area. I am looking for detailed info on the Radio TX that is provided with the consumer Iris. I understand it is a FRSKY FSTH9x (B) or variant. I have a few questions:

1. What exactly is it? If it is a variant, which one? B, V2.
  2. A Photo of the Part number Label would be nice.
  3. Can it work with a DSM2 Spektrum Module and a Satellite connect to the Pixhawk.
  4. Are there specific TX setups for the Iris?

Thanks for all the help.

Hi ShokWaveRider,

It’s a FlySky FS-TH9x, flashed with ER9x firmware and some custom settings to have 6 flight modes.

2. Can it work with a DSM2 Spektrum Module and a Satellite connect to the Pixhawk.
    The Iris is offered only with FlySky RC but the Pixhawk supports Spektrum satellite connections, at this moment the firmware only supports up to the DX8 transmitters.

3. Are there specific TX setups for the Iris?
    The Iris is already configured with the FlySky RC.

Here you can find information about the Iris:
3drobotics.com/iris/info/

And here for the Pixhawk:
3drobotics.com/learn/#Pixhawk_Autopilot
copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common … ick-start/

Thanks for your response, I have added clarification to my questions.

[quote=“RogelioN”]Hi ShokWaveRider,

It’s a FlySky FS-TH9x, flashed with ER9x firmware and some custom settings to have 6 flight modes.

[color=#FF0000]So the TX Provided is the “older” FlySKY FS-TH9X, without OpenTX firmware. New units are “-B” or “V2” hardware. ER9X if I understand has been superseded by OpenTX. Can it be upgraded to the Latest OpenTX? Are you VERY Sure the TX is NOT a “B” or V2 version? If you could research this I would appreciate it. I find that hard to believe that for units delivered in 2014.[/color]

1. Can it work with a DSM2 Spektrum Module and a Satellite connect to the Pixhawk.
    The Iris is offered only with FlySky RC but the Pixhawk supports Spektrum satellite connections, at this moment the firmware only supports up to the DX8 transmitters.

[color=#FF0000]I understand this, that was not the idea of the original question. The Question is Can the provided TX be configured with the “DSM2 Module” (Purchased separately) that is available from HobbyKing and used with the Satellite for 8 channels?[/color]

1. Are there specific TX setups for the Iris?
    The Iris is already configured with the FlySky RC.

[color=#FF0000]Again I understand this. What are those specific setups, they should be published. Is there a spec sheet for those who choose to use a different 8 channel transmitter?[/color]

Here you can find information about the Iris:

[color=#FF0000] I Cannot find anything here regarding SPECIFICS on the transmitter. such as Exact Part Number, Revision etc.[/color]

And here for the Pixhawk:
3drobotics.com/learn/#Pixhawk_Autopilot
copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common … ick-start/[/quote]

[color=#FF8000]I am in the market for an IRIS without the provided Transmitter and Receiver, as a lot of other people are. When will it be offered as such? It used to be why change it.

Thanks again.[/color]

Would you mind to tell me how to check the version?

No, the FlySky has a FrSky telemetry module and is bound to a D4R-II like the ones shown in this link:
copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common … m_Receiver

The TX configuration follows a normal RC configuration for multirotors, what is specific for the Iris is that the FlySky is configured to control 6 flight modes, this configuration will be different on other RC brands, and on the Iris side, those flight modes are configured like this:

Flight mode 1: Stabilize
Flight mode 2: Loiter
Flight mode 3: Auto
Flight mode 4: Stabilize
Flight mode 5: AltHold
Flight mode 6: RTL

Only the developer’s edition was offered without RC, the consumer’s version is offered as a complete solution, so the customers don’t need to do any configuration to start flying.

I don’t know if at some point it will be offered without RC, I guess it will depend on the demand.

Thanks for the response.

1. As far as the TX version is concerned. I would have thought that there was a sticker some place on the transmitter explaining Part Number and Version. Although I think it MUST be a V2. as I do not currently own one, I do not know exactly. Just take a look at one.

2. I would like to see a print (PDF) file of all the specific program changes required for the Iris.

3. I would like to use the TX with OTHER models too. That is Why I want to plug in a DSM2 module. When using a DSM2 module it will be for my other models only. When using IRIS I would have the recommended Modules in with the recommended receiver.

I guess we are really on our own if we want to use a different more flexible Transmitter systems.

I can just see a lot of people buying the IRIS and selling the TX/RX pair in favor of their own preferred radio.

1. Attached is a picture of one label on the RC carton, I don’t know if this is linked to the version. Remember We eliminated the original firmware of the RC by flashing the ER9x firmware.

2. There is no special modification it is only a normal RC configuration for multirotors, but if you have a PDF example I can see if I can prepare the same data for the Iris.

3. The Pixhawk which is the flight controller of the Iris supports other receivers and transmitters, here is how to do it:
    copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common … _RC_inputs
    Is up to the customer to replace the current FrSky receiver from the Iris to swap to another RC.

Thanks for that. It is a “B” version (or V2), I think they are interchangeable. This is a good thing. The Firmware is also good.

I think that you have answered the majority of my above posted questions, although I still think that providing a TX and RX combo is a little redundant for some folk that are interested in the IRIS. But that is my opinion.

Here are some general comments and questions:

1. Of course IRIS should be available without the TX and RX.
  2. Are there Extended legs available, the ones provided are very short?
  3. Will there be a complete set of spares available. (Body Housing, ESC etc.)?
  4. Where can one buy the Multi colored LED. I am considering using the PixHawk controller in another model also and would like to replicate the setup. Most other parts are available separately.

Thanks again for your prompt responses. I hope we get more info like this on this site. Unfortunately there are still so many forums to check for IRIS updates. It would be nice to get a one stop info source.

Another recommendation would be to have a link to this site from the 3drobitics.com site some place so people can come here directly for additional information and support on products.

Thank you for the comments and questions, I will ask for help to reply them.

At this moment I just see the long legs only with the tarot gimbal for Iris:
store.3drobotics.com/products/ta … ess-gimbal

This is one site where you can get most of the information about our products:
3drobotics.com/learn/

This is the specific for Iris:

Hi ShokWaveRider,

A set of tall legs for IRIS will be available for purchase soon at store.3drobotics.com. The IRIS body housing, ESC, and multicolor LED are not available separately.

Best,
-Alex

Would it be possible to special order them at all. I want to drill the body out for an integrated camera.

ShockWaveRider, those are excellent questions.
I second all of his points.

I’d like to add a few things:

1. If the body, LED and ESC are not for sale, how will we repair them if we break them or they burn out?

2. A clear description of how the pixhawk recognizes the different flight modes would be a very good idea. I understand it, but it took some poking around mission planner to figure it out. copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/flight-modes/

3. If this is really an RTF model then it would really help to consolidate and clarify a lot of the more detailed information.

Lastly, In answer to SWR’s earlier question about using spectrum module and transceiver with the IRIS, is yes it will work, as stated here:
3drobotics.com/iris/info/connect-receiver/

Steve

3DR will offer a method of ordering replacement parts for IRIS. Check back at 3drobotics.com/support for updates on when this will be available.