New Iridium SATCOM System beySAT-LCC - Customer inputs required

We are considering the use of an Inmarsat BGAN terminal for the ground station. This gives up to 450kbps up/downlink in location w/o any other link option. Any experience with BGAN so far?

So using the Iridium RUDICS or PPP for the air unit and BGAN for the ground unit. Does it make sense to you?

Nice piece of hardware… a little bit pricy but I guess BVLOS is not for the average DIYer …

I got my “old” Explorer 500 (Thrane & Thrane, now Cobham) today used for €250 in perfect working conditions, so could be a good option if you don’t need new stuff…

1 Like

Can you please make it so that we can use expresslrs modules as a control and a telemetry link just like dragon link. THX!

I don’t know if a BGAN ground station would be a popular use-case. If the ground station is in a remote location with the UAV, most people would use a RFD900 (or similar) for a local link to the UAV.

We are discussing satcom data links and not RF data links.

Why do you mention the RFD900? This is a RF link, but useless if you are in a remote location without any LTE coverage and the drone flights out of the range of any RF link. May be I’m missing something?

Most of actual BVLOS configurations are based on redundant C2 made of a radio link like RFD900 that have a range from 5 - 25 km and a LTE if coverage allows. SatCom makes the perfect redundancy as the coverage is global.

I think the most probable scenario for long range operation on land with cellular coverage is LTE as main link and SatCom as redundancy.

This configuration requires a SatCom Base Station for diversity if there is no other alternative to communicate with Satellite Hub through internet like land line or a wireless internet connection. LTE is out of question as it would make a single point of failure at the GCS side.

My interest in this system is because our BVLOS flights occur in areas with limited or unreliable (or nonexistent) LTE coverage. Using radios such as the RFD900x or Microhard P900 will have to be the primary link, but a SatCom link on both air and ground sides is in many cases the only option to fly beyond the limitations of the RF link.

What is the allowed frequency and power levels for ISM in Down Under and Canada?
In EU we have the main issue of the 100mW on 2.4GHz and 200mW (or 1000mW in some circumstances) on 5.8GHz, and 25mW on 868MHz. This limits the use of RF data links for long range, IF we will stay complaints to the rules (the most operators doesn’t :wink:
So LTE and satcom remains the unique solutions for bvlos operations. As ppoirier mentioned, redundancy is a big topic and satcom will be the only solution in LTE denied locations. So we need to find a plug & play solution to deliver the data either via LTE or SAT, or concurrently.
A big question is: how many drones concurrently have to be controlled from the GCS? If just a single remote vehicle, then a point to point between to satcom terminals can be made saving probably costs and latency.

This paper from NASA is quite a good reference on the subject:
https://www.nasa.gov/aeroresearch/programs/iasp/uas/uas-research-activities

Demonstration Activity: Systems Integration and Operationalization (SIO)
Demonstrate robust UAS operations in the NAS by leveraging integrated DAA, C2, and state of the art vehicle technologies with a pathway towards certification to inform FAA UAS integration policies and operational procedures.

I guess our community interest is toward VFR-Like Airspace Integration

And this one is from RTCA Special Committee 228 on Minimum Performance Standards for Unmanned Aircraft Systems - shows the different stages of C2 certification

Oh cool! Thanks.
There is one major open point: To retrieve satcom data on the GCS, we need to authenticate the user so that it gets his dedicated streams. What should be the best way keeping in mind both LTE and satcom ground links? A VPN dialer?

On 2.4GHz I think it’s 100mw and 900MHz is 1000mw. Unfortunately, given the nature of the organization I work for we need to make every effort to be compliant with these kinds of rules. And that can be a real pain some days.

At this point, my focus is on a single vehicle at a time.

Hummm… I dont know for elsewhere but in north America it is 30dBm

1 Like

In Australia: 1000mW in the 915MHz band and 500mW/4000mW in the 2.4GHz band. Using long-range radios (like the RFD900) can give a 20km+ datalink range.

Australia does have large sections of the country outside of LTE range - pretty much outside of most population centres and major highways. Any longer-range flights in remote areas do need to be planned with LTE coverage in mind.

VPN is good - that what we use on most LTE links.

Industry Canada makes a very irritating point of not being the FCC but many of the rules are comparable. So 30dBm for 2.4GHz is likely correct. The offical documents I found don’t make it easy for non-electrical engineers to understand the requirements.

What is the max weight and size for a satellite system you’re aiming for?
What is the costs per minute or monthly flat you’re aiming for?

Size of a RPI zero is OK as we already use it as LTE C2
I saw unlimited data plans @ 150$/month

I can go larger on the size and weight. A full sized RPI is fine for my needs.

A flat rate unlimited data plan would be great. Our use would be seasonal, so some months we’d be flying a lot, and then it’s winter.

That’s when you install the unit in the snowmobile and ride far away in the great white north… :slight_smile: hey !!

1 Like