New FIMI Manta VTOL Fixed Wing

I received mine today, is the PNP-FC.
I’m tring to map the front connectors (I don’t know if someone has discovered/mapped) - I believe both are uarts ports. Before received mine, I was consterned about that magnets near to the gps/compass, the gps is just a gps - there is no compass.

Important Note

the connector of 5 pins is connectec to vcc not to 5 volts, so be carefull

Received mine PNP version today.
Got also the Speedybee F405 Wing to install.

But what ESC need to be used?
no building information on youtube yet :blush:

Taking an interest in this little VTOL.

Why not a 20x20 blheli_32 4in1?

Rolf-Did you see where you can use the PDB/bottom board from the Matek F405-VTOL on the Wlite and it’s sold separately on Aliexpress for low cost. Interesting option I thought.

2 Likes

try to save every gram fornmy
build. 3x small BHeli_32 can be lighter then 4in1 board? :sweat_smile:

At 9g? Perhaps not.

Hello friends, I got a guide that FIMI sent me, it has a lot of important information and tips! I hope it helps! :smiley:
Manta飞控线序图
Manta_PNP-FC版特殊使用说明 Special instruction

3 Likes

Great,

I made an sbus inverter - dis document could save 1 hour of my time :smiley:
Now I’m having to work on the CG because installing the VTX(O3 unit) in front of the vehicle and a 3S 18650 battery was impossible to adjust the CG - I need to put more weight in the tail.

Hi Dave,

I only have knowledge of the F405-VTOL from the Matek homepage. I don’t know what advantage the PDB could bring in combination with the H743 wlite. Only more solder tags for three ESCs ? I have now installed a 4-1 ESC, which itself has enough solder tags.

I soldered the power lines between FC and ESC outside and then pushed in both together. In the process, before the 4-1 disappeared all the way to the back, I soldered the cables to the motors.
A Quitek airspeed sensor with compass happens to fit right in a bulge in the front. This allows me to use its compass rather than the compass in the GPS, which is near the shutter magnets of the canopy.

The camera is installed in the front. I’m just not sure yet how and where exactly I will install the Walksnail Avatar VTX, as it is not easy to find the right position in relation to the center of gravity and the cooling required.

Rolf

No advantage with the 4in1 which itself is a PDB as you say. Looking really nice. Great idea with the Airspeed sensor/compass. I have another model where those cover magnets play hell with a compass if it was in the GPS position.

I used the front for the video antenna
I made a camera and o3 unit mount and is installed in front - I think the cooling is solved in this way with other part to install the antenna on the top.

I replaced the original GPS with one with a compass too.

2 Likes

I’m surprised that works so close to the canopy magnets. As I mentioned it didn’t on another plane I have with a similar location. Had to get rid of the magnets. I like Rolf’s solution.

Hi @dkemxr

Me too, I have an Dart XL and I had to install the gps in front of the nose to avoid interfence. but comparing the magnets between the dart and the manta, the manta version is pretty more weak - maybe this can be the answer.

Still waiting for mine, and thinking if it is not too small for my favourite setup with the gimbal WG2X + GoPro. They announce a mysterious FIMI G21 Pro gimbal + camera, but what is this in reality? What are the (stabilized) camera options here? I guess it should be of the size of say DJI Mavic Air 2’s camera?

Mine is almost done as well. Couple of observations:

• One of my wing latch would not engage. When it finally does engage after fiddling, it would pop loose very easily. I can’t trust it so I might just glue the wing.
  • The foam quality is rather poor compared to others such as T1 Ranger. There are divots and rough surfaces. Joint seam lines are uneven, specially where the wing meets the body.
  • The plastic motor pods are fiddly to join together, and looks rather poor when finished. It would probably be better if they molded the covers with foam.

I will report back with flight characteristics after some airtime.

Running Speedybee F405wing and 4-in-1 20amp ESC.

1 Like

Hi @steph280

1. Yes, mine is the same.
  2. Yes
  3. I’m not using.

I flied today but I’m facing a problem.
After a first fly - with just one message of transition failure for timeout, the manda done the transition, there was a little overshooting the pid but was flying ok.

I landed, enable autotune on a switch, replace the battery - a 3s 18650GA and when I try to takeoff, the manta just not takeoff.
Appear an overweight because the front still stuck on the ground.
I made a test with a lipo - 4s HV of 650ma and the wing takeoff perfectly.
I still didn’t understand why I had an almost perfect fly with the 18650 ga pack at first time.

ola
como ficou o CG?
qual bateria ira utilizar?

Bom dia Israel,

o CG ficou bem ruim - eu to com um pack 3S1P, tive que colocar pesos na cauda (2 de 10 gramas na cauda ) e mais um de 5. Ai ficou certo - estou usando uma o3 como vtx e rc encaixada na janela frontal.

1 Like

estou usando O3 tbm… consegui ajustar o CG. porem com 8 gramas de peso na cauda… mas ficou legal.