New Camera Platform Build

I’m putting together an 800mm Hex X camera platform and need some advice on the right flight controller. I bought one of the cheap, 3DR knock-offs and don’t trust it enough to even try and fly.

I like the features and peripherals of the Pixhawks but the Holybro Pixhawk 4 doesn’t run Ardupilot firmware and the Cube still needs the bugs worked out.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to a good, reliable and stable Pixhawk flight controller?

The Holybro Pixhawk 4 does run Ardupilot and many are using Cubes. What “cheap 3DR knock-off”?

What bugs are you concerned with on the cube? IMO it’s the gold standard.

I purchased a cheap 3DR knockoff - without realizing it. The whole kit (GPS, telemetry, Pixhawk) cost $130 on Amazon but the components are clearly not 3DR. I didn’t think 3DR was still making hardware though…I thought they had decided to focus 100% on software.

That is correct. You may still find a genuine 3DR manufactured pixhawk used somewhere. But the garbage hacked up clones pretty much flood the market these days.

It’s the one marked 2.4.8. Actually, I must have read an old post saying the Holybro Pixhawk 4 wouldn’t load the Arducopter firmware. In fact, there were several posts about this. They must have corrected this. I’m just looking for some “hands on” opinions on some flight controllers. This one and the Cube for starters.

Sincerely,
Rick J Riggins
2585 E Pikes Peak Ave. # T-101
Colorado Springs, CO 80909

rjriggins11@yahoo.com

(719) 219-6884

There was an IMU issue where the main IMU would become disconnected and the backups didn’t kick in. Things crashed. It looks like there is a patch for this though. Just looking for opinions on a couple of flight controllers.

Sincerely,
Rick J Riggins

rjriggins11@yahoo.com

(719) 219-6884

It’s not a knockoff made by 3DR, it’s a knockoff one of their products. One of the thousands of knockoffs.

Sincerely,
Rick J Riggins

rjriggins11@yahoo.com

(719) 219-6884

You are overthinking this. Just flash and fly your current pixhawk. It is almost certainly fine. Pix Cube that you purchase now are fine. They were always supported by dealers anyway and the issue you referenced was flagged in firmware quickly. If you want to stick with a brand get Matek FCs off Amazon Prime (see wiki for specific ones) or if you wish use mRo can sell you a good Pixhawk or Pixracer or x2.1.

Holybro Pix 4 is in the Ardupilot wiki. I am pretty sure it runs Ardupilot just fine.

My favorite is PixRacer w/ case from mRobotics. But that’s just because I have had really good luck with it, and gotten to know serial mappings etc. Although it’s only 6 PWM out so more than a quad motors, shutter trigger, shutter feedback and you are out of luck. The racer in the name was an unfortunate choice. It’s just a nice pix mini.

I would think any of the cube based controllers from a good dealer should work well. I would be willing to bet once 4.0.2 goes stabile you won’t have any big issues. As has been mentioned previously it’s the gold standard for this community.

You may find that how you set up your power bus is more important. Good clean power on a machine that can draw serious amps is a bit of a challenge. I do not build huge but have heard Mauch stuff is nice. I use mRo power modules myself along with castle becs when needed.