So the 1.9.06 beta adds a new menu option called ‘Read only’. If you turn this option on you can then give the tablet/phone to any random stranger and they can do only ‘read only’ things - all the usual features work (map, hud, telemetry, voice warnings etc…) but at a protocol level it prevents sending any packets to the vehicle (other than required heartbeats).
This is useful for the following:
- Allows you to use andropilot with any mavlink based autopilot (not just APM based) (if you find problems, please send me an email or post)
- You can let non pilots play with the tablet (though of course, it is presumed that your friend isn’t going to dive deep into the menus to turn read-only back off)
- If you have any doubts at all about what andropilot is doing with your vehicle, you can put your mind at ease
Available now for beta testers, or about a week from now for general availability.
- Support ‘spectator/read-only mode’. The new ‘Read Only’ menu item will switch Andropilot into a mode where it never sends packets to the vehicle. This is useful for vehicles that only have a one-way radio link
- Support the new px4 USB device IDs (reenables direct USB connection to Pixhawk) (Thanks for the report Tridge)
- Support VERY small screens (320x240) with a special UI (move bluetooth options into menu etc…) (Thanks Rory San Miguel)
- Better support for nvidia shield
- Prompt for arm & disarm in the menu (thanks Edgar)
- Do not allow arming (from andropilot only) if the vehicle is not level (thanks Craig Baldwin for the idea)