Need help with traditional helicopter setup

Hi all,

I’ve managed to get most everything setup on my Trex 700e based on the documentations and videos offered on Traditional helicopters. There are some ambiguities such as getting a message after RC calibration stating throttle reversed in transmitter. I’ve tried the reverse channel 8 in the transmitter with no luck. I also tried reversing channel 8 in qgroundcontrol and still get the same message.

I am assuming that the RC calibration bars in the software should move right when given forward pitch but mine travels to the left, rest of the channels respond correctly. The helicopter’s swash responds correctly to my stick input and also the FC responds to helicopter movement by countering it. I’d appreciate it if someone can assist with getting past these 2 issues.

Thanks,
Reza

Throttle is reversed? Or collective is reversed?

So, collective is on channel 3 (called “throttle” in the code), throttle control is on channel 8 (called “RSC” in the code). It is a very confusing deal, I did not design it that way, I fixed it in my custom builds, someday something needs to be done with it in ArduPilot.

For elevator control (pitch axis), this normally has to be reversed in the RC. So when you push the lever ahead the output value goes low, and vice-versa. It is the only channel that normally has to be reversed in the RC radio.

Hi Chris,

thank you for your assistance. Is your custom build available for use? How do I go about getting your assistance in getting the pixhawk working on our helicopter; can you be contracted?

Thanks,
Reza

Just send me a PM on this forum and I can give you my direct email and phone #

Reza,
If it occurred on the RC calibration, I would suspect it is channel 3 in your transmitter, not channel 8. I think it wants you to reverse channel 3 in your transmitter because when it asked to set your sticks as part of the calibration, it saw something unexpected in that channel. I’m not certain but that would be my best guess.
If you don’t mind, post a param file so I can look at your setup.
Thanks
Bill

Hi Bill, Chris,

Throttle being channel 3 and reversed makes total sense. My confusion is looking at the calibration bars moving right and left as I calibrate the RC channels. I was simply referencing the direction the bars move when calibrating the sticks to other rc helicopter flight controllers such as Mikado vBar. I will figure out how to post the parameter files for you to review shortly.
Thanks,
Reza

When the little bar goes right, that is high. When it goes left, that is low.

Normally, on the RC, when you move your control ahead, that is high. Back is low. For horizontal movement of the control, right is high, left is low.

For most RC radios, when you move the cyclic ahead, the bar in the GCS should go left. It usually requires reversing the channel in the RC to make that happen (Channel 2).

That is the only channel that should be reversed in the RC radio (if required). Confusion could reign if you accidentally have a Mode 1 setup in your RC where the left and right fore/aft controls are swapped side to side. In some places in the world they fly airplanes that way. But it would totally unnatural for a helicopter to have right/left cyclic and collective on one control, and fore/aft cyclic and pedal on the other. I’m not even sure I could program my brain to fly such a contraption.