Need general Quadplane / VTOL advice and possibly looking to buy an airframe

Hi all,

First off I have no experience with VTOL beyond watching YouTube videos and lurking around here. I’m involved in a payload R&D project in which to date we have utilized quadcopters I’ve built as our testbed vehicles. I’d like to explore the feasibility of augmenting the project with a quadplane/VTOL test platform and do not know where to start so I thought I’d reach out to you all.

The main requirements I’m looking to achieve are:

• 10 to 15lbs payload capacity
  • 2+ hour flight endurance with payload
  • Significantly increasing the sustained airspeed over the quadcopters we have been using
  • and of course VTOL capability as operating out of a stip is not feasible

My budget is somewhat limited and I can build from scratch, but would also be open to picking up a used vehicle or airframe if it gets me to a functioning test vehicle quicker.

Any advice, suggestions, or help you can provide will be greatly appriciated!

Cheers and Happy Holidays!

Pete

Your definition of what “limited budget” is going to determine what realistically you can do to have that amount of payload. That’s a pretty good size aircraft to carry it. To get an idea, a ready made one, you’re going to be into the 5-figure budget like the Foxtech REX 340 Canard Hybrid VTOL Drone. Maybe you can start there and research from there.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply, Rollys, and yes I’m aware of the capital requirements involved, I should have been more specific in my language. A better way to say it is I am looking to get to a working test platform as economically as possible and that we have the capability of building so I do not need a finished off the shelf product such as the beautiful Foxtech REX 340 you mentioned.

Wondering if anyone has had experience with this airframe? https://www.droneassemble.com/product/vtol-uav-15kgs-payload-2-4-hours-endurance-mtow-50kgs-vtol-frame-kit/

I had seen this Mugin 2 awhile back if you just want a kit.

Good luck.

Thanks, rollys. I will give Mugin a look.

Cheers

This is a good option for long endurance
https://www.droneassemble.com/product/vtol-uav-6-hours-endurance-with-1kg-payload-for-survey-serveillance/