Navigation Algorithms

Greetings to all

I’m new to the community, I don’t know if it’s the right place to ask my question, but I’ve already looked everywhere.

I am doing my undergraduate work, and I want to use Mission Planner to equip my drone with navigation and autonomous flight for precision agriculture, I am collecting information about the navigation algorithms that Mission Planner uses but I do not get information, someone would be so kind to guide me? I would thank that very much

1 Like

Maybe try to search about EKF 2 and EKF 3 in Arducopter.

Hello,

I think you are mixing some information.
Mission Planner is a GUI to setup and do some planning on MAVLINK vehicle like ArduPilot based one’s. It doesn’t have navigation algorithms, all the autonomy is inside the drone on the autopilot like ArduPilot or another computer.

1 Like

Mission planner has no navigation algorithms. Mission Planner allows you to plot a predefined flying path and it uses GPS data to follow what you have planned ahead of time. It has no navigation intelligence other than using onboard sensors to follow commands you plotted and the flight controller follows it to the best of its ability and perform those tasks.

Things the flight controller controls during flight are altitude, speed, turns (at what angle), when to start the mission and when to land, maintaining altitude (using GPS or Lidar), collision avoidance, take pictures etc.

If you elaborate on what your final thesis is, maybe I can guide you.

Greetings, thanks for the comments, in fact that is exactly what I want, for the drone to go from one point to another autonomously following the plotted route.

The purpose of the thesis is to equip a UAV with navigation and autonomous flight, for precision agriculture, taking it from one point to another, to collect information remotely from ground sensors.

What I want to know is the documentation of which techniques he uses, since I have a Pixhawk, which will control the drone.

I know you use Waypoints to establish routes, but I would like your documentation to feed the project.

You will not find one single documentation to explain all of the above. Its a piece part information that you will have to put it together to come to the final conclusion (unfortunately). The reason being is that MP and Arudpilot are universal devices and can be used in several different applications.

1. step one, learn how to program Pixhawk and Mission planner and learn to fly it using FC and way points.
  2. Learn how to use various sensors.
    3… Master waypoint plotting techniques. You can watch this guy videos, he has done an excellent job for what you are looking for.

Thank you very much, I will continue investigating

Your welcome…make sure you decide on the frame first. Copter or a plane? This will make a huge difference on learning.

I would strongly suggest plane. It will fly longer, much easier to build.

Selecting planes is no easy task so first thing, what sensors your plane will have? What type of camera? Belly ir on a gimbal? What are you capturing? :slight_smile:

I am sure as a good engineer you will first do all the due diligence before Buying things And you will be Not be disappointed at the end.

Actually I have already advanced that part and studied, it is a quadCopter I chose a Frame F450, multirotor MultiStar 2212-920, Turnigy 5000mAh 20-30c power, and it will only have an additional Arduino Uno with a Rn41 module to communicate via Bluetooth with another rn41 that will be in the field.

Thats fine. Max flight time will be 20 to 25 min. Sufficient for mapping? Depends on the size of the field.

Yes, it is enough, since the test field is limited to approximately 1 hectare, which raises a question, what would be the formula to calculate the flight time?

hello,

You will find some documentation here https://ardupilot.org/dev/docs/learning-the-ardupilot-codebase.html

1 Like

Thank you very much, so use EKF as a state estimation and positioning algorithm.