My pixhawk 2.4.8 got smoke and burned during ESC calibration

Greetings everyone,

I wanted to share an update on my hexacopter project. I successfully connected all the essential components to the hexacopter, including the motors, Electronic Speed Controllers (ESCs), and the power distribution boards. Additionally, I connected my Pixhawk 2.4.8 flight controller to the power distribution board.

The initial setup went smoothly. I completed the radio calibration and compass calibration without any issues. However, the trouble started when I attempted to calibrate the Electronic Speed Controllers (ESCs) as per the instructions in Mission Planner. This process involved disconnecting the battery and USB, and then reconnecting the battery to power the entire system, including the Pixhawk flight controller.

For context, the entire setup was powered by a 4S battery, which was connected to the power distribution board (PDB). After connecting the battery to the PDB and following the calibration procedure, an unexpected problem occurred. Instantly, smoke began emanating from the Pixhawk, specifically from the location where the power module connects.

To address the situation, I immediately disconnected the Pixhawk from all power sources and attempted to power it through my laptop. Unfortunately, the Pixhawk failed to power up, indicating that the board was likely damaged.

Now, Iā€™m left wondering what could have caused this issue and led to the damage of the Pixhawk flight controller. Your insights and suggestions regarding the possible reasons behind this incident would be greatly appreciated.

My guess is that instead of 5V the PH got 16V due to some short circuit caused by some metal piece in your desk.

1 Like

Are you using a power module?