Must complete autotune in one flight?

Hi new here, I read the wiki a few times and flew in Autotune to set up my small trainer drone. My problem is my flight time is limited to a few minutes at a time and there’s just not enough time to do that 20 times thing for both roll and pitch in one flight. I never managed to hear or see that autotune complete message while in-flight. If I land and power off the drone, do I lose all my improved PID? I saw in another post where a dude asked why not always fly in Autotune and the response is the next time you put in soft control inputs the PIDs are back to square one…which seems to contradict the wiki which says tuning is only active when large inputs are made. Can anyone clarify? Thanks

Plane has no such feature. Autotune in Plane is a manual process.

Manual as in it doesn’t save the PID unless ‘autotune complete’ is achieved in-flight? Not sure I understand

No, plane. I flew a quad before and knew autotune works differently, but the documentation just isn’t clear about this bit.

No, meaning Copter Autotune, as you know, automatically pitches/roll’s/yaw’s the craft, with plane it’s manual input of pitch and roll. I think it will save the incremental PID’s changes. What’s the harm in trying it? Make an Autotune flight and pitch and roll as many as you have battery for, land then compare parameters to see what it did… Obviously save the parameter file before doing it.

Da q-groundcontrol è possibile impostare autotun per singolo asse. Così puoi completare autotun con tempo di volo ridotto

1 Like

It does look like that’s possible if you are using the PX4 Flight Stack, which is interesting. But if you are using Arduplane the parameter doesn’t exist to do this so QGC won’t help.

Autotune for plane is fantastic. To do one axis at the time, do as many full stick movements in roll in autotune in one flight as you can. Write down resulting pid’s for roll. Do the same for pitch in a new flight and you will end up having a full set of pid’s that you can edit in missionplanner. Hope this will work for you.

https://ardupilot.org/plane/search.html?q=autotune&check_keywords=yes&area=default

The first search result on the Arduplane docs shows this is not the case.

AUTOTUNE flight mode works as advertised. You need to fly at least 10 seconds in this mode, preferably as long as possible, and after you land f.e. in FBWA mode, switch to AUTOTUNE, and only then DISARM. You can cut power to the FC, your new PID settings will be persisted.

Arduplane code was synced with Arducopter as of Arduplane 4.0.4 so this feature from Arducopter made it in one way or another:

Evidence from Arducopter:

1 Like

[quote=“dkemxr, post:7, topic:55848, full:true”]
No, meaning Copter Autotune, as you know, automatically pitches/roll’s/yaw’s the craft, with plane it’s manual input of pitch and roll. I think it will save the incremental PID’s changes. What’s the harm in trying it? Make an Autotune flight and pitch and roll as many as you have battery for, land then compare parameters to see what it did… Obviously save the parameter file before doing it.
[/quote]yeah I already flew five short sorties mainly in autotune mode but never thought to check the PID page. All I did was to graph desired and achieved attitude in the log. I’ll do that next time and compare.

yes the issue is they didn’t advertise the part about saving the new PIDs. I will try your way today and see what happens, thanks.

well i’ve been flying in autotune a few times but I’m never sure if the PID is stored or improved. I will start checking the tuning page in MP and compare the numbers. others posted below that you need to switch modes etc after landing to save the PID. Do you mean to check the PIDs changes while in-flight? Can’t do that as I fly solo in FPV mode, so…

:grinning: my English is bad enough, not to mention my italian.

Write down the numbers you have for these parameters:

Pitch axis PIDs:
PTCH2SRV_P
PTCH2SRV_I
PTCH2SRV_D

Roll axis PIDs:
RLL2SRV_P
RLL2SRV_I
RLL2SRV_D

Re-check 'em after you saved a new autotune. Not so bad, right?

What’s not the case? The feature in question is selectable Tune Axis. Plane doesn’t have this. I was replying to the post that has since been withdrawn that was mistakenly referring to Copter.

thanks i’ll check them. could you tell me how you found out about the mode switch after landing you posted earlier? it was not in the documentation.

That clears things up. Thanks.

I don’t remember anymore. I checked the documentation again just now like you did and I found nothing. It must have been hearsay from one of the many rcgroups I read or a video on YouTube. I tried the process in the field myself and verified that it worked.

1 Like

From q-groundcontrol it is possible to set autotun for single axis. So you can complete autotun with reduced flight time

Show me where it’s possible to configure that in QGroundControl when running Arduplane firmware.

I asked my friend Mr. Google for a translation to Italian:
Mostrami dove è possibile configurarlo in QGroundControl quando si esegue il firmware Arduplane.