MSP protocol support

No problem, and thanks!

@yaapu
Hi there trying to implement the Matek 3901-L0X and have seen people get it working on this thread. Using the Mateks H743 slim board wired up to UART 1, (so serial 2 in mission planner) I have these settings

• SERIAL_BAUD = 115
  • RNGFND1_TYPE = 32
  • FLOW_TYPE = 7
    I don’t have any other range finders connected so I should use RNGFND1 (correct?) couldn’t find anything on that in the documentation. anyways when I turn RNGFND1_type to 32 I get a pre-arm error saying Range finder 1 was not detected. However, I do get optical flow inputs and have managed to do a flight using the op flow and using the flow hold flight mode and it worked relatively successfully. however, I’m still stuck on how to get the lidar/ range finder detected. any thoughts? thanks in advanced

Dont want to be offtopic, but do you have information if the new Walksnail hd system also support MSP OSD protocol with ardupilot?

Search for a video by Mad’s Tech, he showed it working.

Yes…thanks i ve found Mad s tech video already. COOL! Looks promising.
I m wonder if that Canvas mode type osd is also available with the DJI system…or need the root hack?
He select Osd_type 5 and serial protocol 42 and msp_option 4 parameters for walksnail…maybe is working on the dji also.?
I m little bit confuse …

on DJI FPV Goggles V1 and V2 you need the root hack

Thanks Alex for make it clear!

But canvas mode is still not available due to limitations imposed by DJI, or did I miss something?

Btw, the most interesting thing about the new googles for me so far is that it can record the OSD - at the least the one of the Avata drone. Hopefully this will also work with the new air units. Walksnail cannot record OSD (no idea if it could be added by firmware now that DJI has it).

On DJI FPV Goggles V1 and V2 MSP Displayport can be added as an “overlay” by rooting the device, check here. OSD recording is a no go as far as I know

1 Like

Ok, so just by installing the alternative software and applying those settings, I will get the same customizability of the OSD that I have on analog?

Completed the alternative firmware install (a.k.a. rooting) successfully - finally the MESSAGE field is readable again! Elements like Flight Mode are also back. :tada:

At first I thought they got it wrong in their documentation, but looks like you really have to use SERIALx_PROTOCOL = 42 and OSD_TYPE = 5 (both undocumented, it seems) to get it working. The only drawback I found (apart from not being able to record the OSD) is the limited placement of the elements. Edges of the screen cannot be reached due to the grid being the same as on analog. Also some unit indicators look wrong, but I’ll just try a different font.

2 Likes

was rooting simple I have been waiting for them to release the full suite of fpv wtf. did you use the online root tool?

Yes, I used the online tool, for both the goggles and the Nebula Pro. With that one it took a few attempts but in the end it worked well. I didn’t activate any other packages except MSP-OSD, mainly as I didn’t even know what they do.

so you also have to root the air unit? I am just diving into digital right now have two sets of goggles and a ton of caddx units

There are several walkthrough videos about it on YT, although surprisingly no recent ones from any of the ‘big’, English-speaking channels. Seems like it has been available for a while, but with goggle DVR recording completely disabled - now that is supposed to work as well (I personally haven’t tried arming yet to start recording).

There’s also a pending PR to enable a higher resolution text overlay, it wil allow for an OSD grid 30x50, font is smaller and placement friendly.

You’ll also need the latest ardupilot master for it fixes a bug with MSP telemetry while using DisplayPort

OSD_TYPE = 5 has been added to the wiki with a recent PR whilts SERIALx_PROTOCOL = 42 is already in the wiki

1 Like

Thanks for the information. Higher resolution text overlay would be very interesting indeed!

I’m having 2 weird issues and I wonder if they’re avoidable. See pictures attached.

1. There are 2 entries always present, in the selected font, but smaller and outside the “grid”: “64 C and A 7.8V” - I wonder what they are and how they get there? Vista temperature perhaps?

1. Some values are displayed with incorrect (or missing) icon units: “ON HR … km/h” - any way to fix this? I already tried another font (Impact Mini, as I assumed it’s the smallest available).

might want to post this on the FPV WTF discord see if they can help there. fpv.wtf

Are we ever going to get (or is there a way to get) an efficiency metric, (mAh/km) for example, for the DJI FPV OSD? It’s great that the basics are covered, but efficiency would be so useful for long range flights.