MSP DisplayPort

yes, it’s 4.3 no patches for stable

Seems to be not yet in 4.3 DEV … Furthermore no VTX menu.

Can you briefly name the parameters that must be different from those in my post above?

On the 2nd page of VRX menu still a UART Connection Error is reported. The serial port is correct, otherwise I would not see the OSD. Looks to me somehow like the parameters of the serial port are not correct, but are according to default.

By the way, I have not connected Smartaudio and use the Freestyle VTX with current firmware on VRX/VTX.

1 Like

This fix is not yet in the master I assume? Therefore this does not work yet with 4.3 DEV …?

Correct, it’s a pull request, and I also plan to refactor it in a couple weeks

Too bad, without OSD the power cannot be controlled and the VTX overheats within a few minutes.

Is there no chance for a 4.2.2 firmware for F765-Wing with this fix?

Hello,
I have a tangent question on the DisplayPort type OSD. I want to implement a renderer for it on the receiving end. I was mesmerized by the picture on the Wiki in regards to how the font was looking at high resolution, but browsing through the ArduPilot repo I can only find the pngs used for analog video OSD, which are notably smaller in dimensions.

Can anyone point me to the place where I can find the vectors for Ardupilot’s font if that exist or a way to get the font to look as in the wiki if it’s some upscaling trick?

Thanks

Thanks, I have seen and commented on the fix :wink:

@yaapu
Hi Alex,

with ArduPlane 4.3.1 I can’t use the stick commands for the HDZero VTX OSD menu yet. Something seems to be missing, but I can’t figure it out …

OSD_TYPE = 5
SERIAL5_PROTOCOL = 42
MSP_OPTION = 5

OSD works. But no stick commands. Mode 2 is set on the transmitter with inverted pitch.

Did you try to invert the pitch gesture?

You mean?

Both sticks to the top outside?

since ardupilot pitch is inverted, when the hdzero manual requires pitch stick down you might need to put it up and vice versa

Ah … then I had probably misunderstood the inverted pitch. I have just reset the output in transmitter for the channel again. Then the stick command for the VTX menu works!

Interestingly, if I leave the channel inverted, that then comes with the left stick to the bottom right directly the camera OSD menu. I have not seen yet …

Thank you for the tip!

1 Like

I am having an issue with the MSP Displayport. I am not seeing any OSD in the goggles. I will admit that this is the first time setting up goggles with MSP Display port. Here is the hardware
Fatshark Dominator HD goggles running 34.40.15 firmware
Walksnail Avatar HD Pro running 34.40.15 firmware
QioTek Zealot H743 Flight controller with 4.5-dev firmware

I tried connecting the avatar with the UART 2/ Serial 2 and in my last attempt I swapped and ran my mavlink telem from Serial 2 and put the avatar on UART1/Serial 1 with no luck. I recheck the wiring of the avatar to the UART and I have the TX connected to RX and RX connect to TX between the avatar and the FC. Here are the parameters
MSP Displayport issue.param (21.8 KB)

So I tried doing the MSP Display port with
OSD_TYPE 5
SERIAL1_Protocol 42
SERIAL1_BAUD 115

The parameter file shows my last attempt to just get the MSP working with changing the serial protocol and OSD type to the following
OSD_TYPE 3
SERIAL1_Protocol 32

Open to any thoughts on why this isn’t working. Thanks in advance.

OSD_TYPE 5
SERIAL1_Protocol 42
SERIAL1_BAUD 115

I took a look at my setup (Matek board not QioTek) and Yes this is the correct way of setting up Walksnail
Note that MSP_OPTIONS should be set to 0

Other than that, I don’t really know what to suggest and will let the experts answer
Have you perhaps tried a stable version of the firmware to check if there might be a bug in 4.5 with that board?

1 Like

@Faquaral Thanks for your reply. I reverted back to 4.4 and it still is not working.

Anyone have any reason why this would not work on the Zealot H743? I have a few older boards like the CUAV Pixhack V5 and a CUAV Pixhack V3. Would the MSP Displayport feature work on these boards?

If i don’t think this is a flight controller problem then I am planning to return the VTX and say it is defective.

Did a little more testing. I have an Qiotek Adept 407 FC. I used the copter 4.3.4-rc1 firmware supplied by the manufacturer as this board was just introduced into master after 4.4 was branched. The MSP Displayport works for that controller and firmware.

So I took the Qiotek Zealot H743 back to Copter 4.3.3. The Displayport does not work for that setup. I compared the param files for the H743 and the F407. There was no difference in the MSP, OSD, and Serial settings.

Now I can’t blame it on the VTX. It has to be the FC. @yaapu @rmackay9 Do you want me to post my findings somewhere in particular for tracking. I would like someone to back me up on this before I write an issue in github.

@bnsgeyer did you test the built in analog OSD to rule out build option issues?

@yaapu no. I have an analog camera but I would have to build a cable to test it.

I also tested this on a CUAV V5. Should I expect to be able to use MSP displayport? Would I be able to use MSP alone (ie OSD type =3 and SERIALn_protocol =32) with the avatar HD VTX?

OSD_TYPE=3 requires a “telemetry based” VTX, such as DJI Goggles V1, i.e. a VTX that polls for MSP telemetry and renders the OSD data with it’s own engine.
For displayport devices you always want OSD_TYPE=5, your Avatar won’t work with OSD_TYPE=3.

I do not own a CUAV V5, I tested displayport with a Cube Orange with no issues, my understanding is it should run all right but since displayport uses the OSD thread if for some reason the OSD subsystem is not built displayport won’t work.

1 Like

I use my HD-Zero goggles with MSP-Displayport on a Qiotek Zealot H743. I’m running Ardupilot 4.4.3 and it works great.