Motors aren't rotating during manual test flight

Hello everyone,

I’ve learnt a lot here previously, and now since I’ve started flying, I’m experiencing problems regarding flight.

Here’s my F450 frame spec:

1. Pixhawk 2.4.8
  2. EMAX motors (MT 2213 - 935kV)
  3. ESC: Flycolour 20A 2-4S LiPO, BEC 5V/1A
  4. Battery: 2200mAh 3S 11.1V
  5. GPS: M8N

I have been flying this recently and have crashed multiple times (1 major crash with mud entering the motors). Since then, I’m seeing motor balance issues in the log analysis as seen below.
Ignoring the above error, I have been trying to fly in -2 centigrade and 10mph conditions and while pre-arming, only 3 motors rotate, and I’m unable to fly my drone anymore.

Can someone point to the direction of resolving this issue? your assistance would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Size (kb) 2405.0
No of lines 29836
Duration 0:01:28
Vehicletype ArduCopter
Firmware Version V3.6.12
Firmware Hash cb570c06
Hardware Type
Free Mem 0
Skipped Lines 0
Test: Autotune = UNKNOWN - No ATUN log data
Test: Brownout = GOOD -
Test: Compass = GOOD - mag_field interference within limits (15.11%)

Test: Dupe Log Data = GOOD -
Test: Empty = GOOD -
Test: Event/Failsafe = FAIL - ERR found: FS_BATT
Test: GPS = GOOD -
Test: IMU Mismatch = GOOD - (Mismatch: 0.40, WARN: 0.75, FAIL: 1.50)
Test: Motor Balance = FAIL - Motor channel averages = [1547, 1675, 1338, 1549]
Average motor output = 1527
Difference between min and max motor averages = 337
Test: NaNs = FAIL - Found NaN in CTUN.DSAlt

Test: OpticalFlow = FAIL - FAIL: no optical flow data

Test: Parameters = FAIL - ‘THR_MIN’ not found
Test: PM = GOOD -
Test: Pitch/Roll = GOOD -
Test: Thrust = GOOD -
Test: VCC = UNKNOWN - No CURR log data

Params_17012024.param (14.1 KB)

Update to latest Stable Version Arducopter . Auto Analysis is useless. Follow the tuning guide completely and post a link to the .bin flight log if you have questions.

Thank you for replying @dkemxr , I’ll update it to the latest stable release 4.4.4.
Here’s the .bin file
F450 quad.zip (588.0 KB)

Cheers!

What version of Pixhawk 2.4.8 is that? I’m afraid you are going to say Radiolink.

I’ve got this shipped from china, couldn’t get 3DR pixhawk available here. which one would you recommend btw

They have been out of business for 7 years.

Any on this list.
Supported Flight Contollers

My bad, thank you for your help, I would switch to cube orange as I have one readily available.
Apart from the flight controller, I’m also changing my ESC’s to SimonK 30A, and stick with the same motors. would that help me?

Anything called “SimonK” is very old technology. Go with BLHeli_32 ESC’s.

Thank you sir, I have ordered them (BL_Heli 32A and connectors for cube orange), and tried flying over with SimonK 30A ESC and the drone wan’t able to lift 1400g (total weight). Although I have changed my motors and used new ESC’s I still get “Motor Balance Failure”.
My PID’s seem alright as seen in the graphs, although yaw needs to be tuned a bit, but the rest seem fine.
As seen in ecalc, I would need to go for a 4S battery and higher kV (1200-1300) motors with 60A ESC, which would lift upto 1900g.

let me know if I’m wrong here.

Your suggestion would help me a lot.

Thank you

What is the take-off weight (with battery) of the craft? 1900g

Yes, with battery 1900gm.

1900g is really too heavy for those cheap plastic F450 frames

Yes, I’ve experienced that and agree with you.

Hi @dkemxr , Since I’ll need to lift more in the future, I have opted for Tarot X4 frame and build it with the following configuration. (Why Tarot X4? Frame is readily available)

Tarot X4 configuration:

Configuration : Quadcopter
Flight controller : Pixhawk Cube Orange+
Firmware : Arducopter 4.4.4
Battery : 6s 10000mAh 15-25C
ESC : Holybro Tekko32 F4 Metal 4-in-1 65A 4-6S ESC BLheli_32 Dshot 1200
Propeller : Tarot T series 2255 TL2846 (22inch propeller)
GPS : Here 3+
Telemetry : RFD900X
GCS : Mission planner

Motor : Option 1 - Tarot 6115 320kV brushless motor
Option 2 - Tarot 6015 250kV motors

Regarding motors, 320kV is recommended on some pages.

1. Tarot X4 configuration - unmannedtech
  2. Tarot X4 configuration - foxtech
  3. Tarot X4 configuration - reddit
    When I run the configuration on ecalc, I have come across a warning of risk of over heating. Please see the image below.

With option 2, i.e., with Tarot 6015 250kV motors, motor overheating is not observed.

Is Tarot 6115 320kV preferred? let me know your thoughts on this and also the configuration.

I would go with the 320kV motors. That case temp warning is at motor max, doubt you will be there much if at all.

Thank you @dkemxr , I’m excited about this build and very much looking forward to it.
meanwhile, I’ll try to explore the issues caused by F450 frame.