More budget friendly cube orange alternative?

Ahh cool. Should get Jason to change the cables sometime to GH to GH. And throwing in one power Clickmate to GH would be great too.

I’d pay extra for those dupont cables though so darned useful for testing.

2 Likes

Thanks Yuri - I see you got your delivery. How does it look?

Hi Josh, we are shipping now with “all the options” for included cables/wires. We will also include 2x 4 pin GH - GH cables so that (if you like) you can connect both the included ESP32 WiFi module and the included external USB socket adaptor.

1 Like

@timtuxworth, I won’t actually have it in my hands for another week (I’m on another project at present), but I look forward to checking it out!

1 Like

The first orders have all been delivered. QioTek have been very responsive, the orders go out within 2-3 days and the longest order → door has been 2 weeks. Thanks everyone who ordered so far.

1 Like

Hi @Daniel_Hermann - I can have QioTek H743 flight controllers shipped direct to you in Germany, the price should be about €175.00 + shipping, or about €209.00 for the industrial edition with IIM42652.
Please order from Qio-Tek Zealot H743 Flight Controller – SmartFleet

1 Like

@timtuxworth, I opened up the ZealotH743 today and am very pleased so far. The included cabling and peripherals are among the best I’ve seen, and I was pleased to see that a recent version of Copter stable was already installed (though the compass parameters were a bit odd). I was able to flash Rover stable via Mission Planner without issue, and I’m very pleased to see that DFU mode is exposed to the user via a hardware button.

If I had any complaint, it’s that the included cabling is mostly JST-GH to DuPont header pins. I really like those, and it’d be a shame to discontinue their inclusion, but most users would likely prefer a selection of GH-GH cabling as well. I think you already addressed this in another post, though.

Overall, this may well be my new favorite autopilot and certainly one that I look forward to using.

Thanks so much Yuri.
It’s great to hear that the flashing works fine. I assume you run Windows so don’t see the Mac related issues I was seeing.
This feedback is very important and QioTek has said they will be including an expanded cable pack in future orders including:
JST-GH - Dupont
JST-GH - JST-GH
JST-GJ - JST-SH (old fashioned PixHawk connectors)

Indeed, I run Mission Planner on Windows 11, and there were no surprises or hiccups with flashing.

I’m fairly certain that the older Pixhawk connectors were DF13 as opposed to JST-SH, but the selection of cabling that you just outlined sounds outstanding, regardless!

I was amazed at how fast my FC showed up and even more amazed at the great quality of the product. I cannot wait to get this installed into something. very excited for the onboard OSD!!! I highly suggest anyone looking for heated IMU and what not to look into this flight controller its quite the package for the price!!!

2 Likes

OK, @timtuxworth, just completed the maiden flight with no issues, following a complete initial setup. It flew pretty well on the semi-default params. Everything for the build was kicking around here. I had to sacrifice two of the provided cables - a six pin for the GPS and a four pin for a 3DR-SIK radio. The flying leads were direct soldered to the peripherals. Ultimately, the goal is to build up a larger quad, like a Holybro for the new FC. The test bed is rather pedestrian: old DJI F450 frame (wall decoration), 2213 motors, generic 30A ESCs, FrSky D4R-II RX, SIK radio on 915, and U-BLOX M8N/Mag. 3S. Nice FC, zero gotchas so far. OSD next…more things to tack on the frame. Weight is not a consideration for this test bed, clearly!

1 Like

Beautiful! Any footage? Is it ok if I turn this into a blog post on SmartFleet.systems?

Hi Tim,
I still have a bunch of tuning to do before flying a camera…will keep you posted. I should probably tighten that rig up as well!

I don’t know the forum guidelines regarding re-publishing these posts - probably should bounce that off an admin … but anything I post, have at it if it’s OK with the guys.

Onward.

So far mine’s just a bench test board, but I have an idea about putting it into my first Plane build (or rebuild if you consider that it’s a crashed model that I flew via pure RC for a bit :slight_smile: ).

1 Like

I’m already making plans to buy another one for my first ever quad-plane build. I haven’t told my wife yet :wink:

1 Like

CUAV X7:469usd
X7 PRO:1180usd

How are either of those options even remotely “budget friendly” as compared against a Cube Orange?

Actually I find Orange Cube alittle outdated. Orange Cube is a good professional FC but recently a few others have came up. For instance Pixhawk came out with 6X which I just bought at test, very stable and well done. If I am to go for professional version, I would have chosen CUAV instead of Orange Cube. Of course if budget allows.For small size drone, CUAV may seems alittle overkill, but for big drones, 20kg and above I wouldn’t mind paying that extra especially in a commercial setting.

QioTek Zealot H743 $175.00 USD

I’m curious as to what you find outdated about the Cube Orange as compared with the other options you mentioned. It has been the gold standard among hobbyists for several years, which is an eternity in hardware time, but I don’t see much in the CUAV or 6X specs that indicate they are a generation newer.

My only real complaint about the Cube Orange is the hardwired Ping ADSB unit on the commonly available carrier boards. I’d rather have the spare UART than built-in ADSB.

2 Likes