Mixing terrain following with realative altitude waypoints in a mission

Mission Planner 1.3.41

Does anyone know if there is a way to create a mission which will switch between terrain following and relative altitude mode? I’d like to be in terrain following mode for part of the mission while the copter climbs up and down a few minor hills. Then, I’d like the copter to behave as if travelling between normal relative altitude waypoints and climb/descend to a specific relative altitude. After reaching the next relative waypoints(s) I want the copter to go back into terrain following mode.

My intention is to climb around in the very rugged California hillsides and occasionally have to cross a 200 foot deep canyon without descending into it.
Thanks
Chuck Baker

2 Likes

Hi Chuck,
It’s really a limitation of the ground station, AC3.4 supports mixing the altitude types. I suspect it’s possible to manually write a mission text file and then upload it with MAVProxy but personally I think MAVProxy is really mostly meant for developers and so it’s not quite a user friendly as some of the other ground stations.
There’s a to-do item for Mission Planner to add this support but Michael Oborne seems worried that people will get confused and make mistakes so I don’t think he’s going to make this change (at least not without some more convincing).

A switch on the radio to change altitude sensor?

I’m not a huge fan of hacking it especially when it’s an issue in one of the ground stations. A better use of time would be to work with Michael to figure out how the feature can be added while also not leading to a lot of user errors.

1 Like

APM Planner 2.0 will let you set whatever frame you would like for the waypoint. Rel/Abs or terrain…