Missions -- how to start?

If I can get by this first step of angst in flying a mission, I will be good to go…

If I switch on Auto with RC or AP2, when armed on the ground, will it fly straight to the 1st waypoint without vertically ascending to safe altitude? The point of arming is usually not exactly close to the waypoint 1
Do manually take off in Loiter then switch to auto?
Does RTL work with AP2 in the final waypoint in this version?

Thanks

I have yet to launch an auto mission from the ground. I almost always have a dummy waypoint 1 if you will, near home that get’s me to the altitude I want so I don’t hit stuff.

I personally always take off in stabilized mode, switch to loiter, make sure it’s working properly, then switch to Auto so it hits that waypoint 1 near home. But that’s just me.

Yes RTL works as the last waypoint. Again I always have a final waypoint before RTL that gets me close so that I can make sure RTL’s bee-line for home doesn’t have anything between it.

-=MD

[quote=“Sandyem16”]
If I switch on Auto with RC or AP2, when armed on the ground, will it fly straight to the 1st waypoint without vertically ascending to safe altitude?[/quote]

I’m not %100 sure but one time my son hit auto while his quad was on the ground as soon as he armed it and gave it a touch of throttle it took off straight for wpt 1 it did not fly straight up to gain some altitude first.

Ah… Thats what I thought might happen… I wonder if “takeoff” is even functional as the 1st wp command… I assume it has to be real close to the armed ground position…

Sounds like I will start out this way

Thanks all

The proper way to do it is to add a takeoff waypoint, your mission, and a land waypoint.

To fly place the copter on the ground, ARM, switch to auto, give it a little throttle (so it knows when to start, and also this forces you to have the RC at hand), it’ll fly the mission and land at the designated point.

But as mdisher suggested is always good to do a little of stabilized flight first to make sure your copter is properly flying.

youtube.com/watch?v=btsk7bzn-9Q

That’s what I am talking about… great introductory video… Thanks

Entering in edit mode home position disappear. Is it possibile to keep viewing and have the opportunità to add this position as takeoff and/or landing waypoint?
Another question is: how to reset/refresh the home position?
Few weeks ago I connected the iris through radio module near my house to plan mission (having a nexus7 with only WiFi connection I had to load google satellite data), disconnected, switched off iris, moved near takeoff (100 meters from home), swithed on iris, GPS fixed, connected to DP2 everithing working but home position was still near my house…