Missionplanner access remote video server on rpi

I’m looking at the various options for streaming video off an rpi/pixhawk 1 combination. They’re talking to each other with MAVproxy and the rpi is forwarding data from the Pixhawk over UDP to the remote desktop GCS.

I’m currently using an RPi camera.

I have looked at an implementation of rtsp and an implementation of a server on the rpi and connection in to it by browser.

I found the rpi inbuilt rtsp implementation to be laggy/high latency and prone to error, whereas the remote server python implementation was smooth, low latency and seemingly without obvious error.

It seems that the gstreamer video option (right click on HUD > video) uses a rtsp implementation? Is it worth trying to implement that option, or is there a way to use the remote server option?

You can use RTP if you want lower latency.

The Mission Planner connection string is:

udpsrc port=5000 buffer-size=90000 ! application/x-rtp ! rtpjitterbuffer ! rtph264depay ! h264parse ! avdec_h264 ! videoconvert ! video/x-raw,format=BGRA ! appsink name=outsink sync=false

(Assuming the RTP stream is H.264 encoded and is being streamed to port 5000 on the Mission Planner PC)

There’s also Rpanion-server’s inbuilt video streaming, which works quite well with Mission Planner.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply.

After a bit of messing around I seem to have rpanion up and running although, I can’t find any way to get hold of the dependency ‘libgstrtspserver-1.0-dev’.

I have it streaming telemetry to the desktop gcs.

My next challenge is to get it streaming the rpi cam out. Is there something I must do to activate the rpi cam before starting the server? It is not shown in the drop down box. It is enabled in the raspi-config tool.

I went back and wiped my SD card to install Rpanion 0.9.0 image. This works for me - I now have video out from the pi cam as well as telem. I’m going to have to work on the pi as it will have to do a lot more work than run Rpanion so will see how that can fit in to things.

Edit - now have the default desktop installed and can rdp in to the pi (aswell as vnc when I need it).

Looking forward to creating the scripting I need for my application.