Mission Planner use with 2 tricopters and one quad

I am flying 2 tricopters with different parameters and flight modes. Using the most current APM and MP softwear, What precautions do I need to take to keep each tricopter’s set up unique when I connect them to MP? Does MP keep the data for each tricopter separate?
When I connect the quad to MP I load the quad firm ware and then afterwards reload the firmware for a Tricopter prior to connecting it.

Any insight into the use of MP with multiple number and types of multi-rotors aircraft would be apprciated.

Mission Planner will not change the firmware or parameters of any autopilots unless you tell it too. Every time you connect to a copter it will pull all the parameters down over the link so they can be displayed. Once you have your quad or tricopter set up you do not need to mess with firmware unless you are upgrading that autopilot to a different version. Also the version you are running on your copters doesn’t have to be the same. Mission Planner simply reads information from the autopilot unless you tell it to do something else. Swapping back on forth between copters does not require any special consideration. All firmware and parameters are stored on the autopilot not Mission Planner.

Hopefully that clearly answers your question.

[quote=“cctaylor410”]Mission Planner will not change the firmware or parameters of any autopilots unless you tell it too. Every time you connect to a copter it will pull all the parameters down over the link so they can be displayed. Once you have your quad or tricopter set up you do not need to mess with firmware unless you are upgrading that autopilot to a different version. Also the version you are running on your copters doesn’t have to be the same. Mission Planner simply reads information from the autopilot unless you tell it to do something else. Swapping back on forth between copters does not require any special consideration. All firmware and parameters are stored on the autopilot not Mission Planner.

Hopefully that clearly answers your question.[/quote]

Thank You very much.

Thank you for your good explanation of how MP handles different copter on the same computer.
This brings up another interesting question. What if I have two tricopters and I want to duplicate (copy) all of the setting from one to the other? Is this possible given your explanation of MP loading the setting of the tricopter that is currently connected to MP.

In the full parameter list you can save the config to a file. And, of course, Load one and then write it to your copter.

What if I have two tricopters and I want to duplicate (copy) all of the setting from one to the other?

As Stefan says you can copy parameters from one vehicle to another, however when you do that, ALL of the calibration data is copied as well. Either edit the parameter file to remove the calibration parameters before loading it (preferred solution) or re-calibrate after loading the parameters (not preferred solution).