Methodical tuning Temp calibration

Good day fellow Arducopters and the 3 tuning Amigo’s.If i set the temp calibration to 2 for inflight calibration,what should I set the param INS_TCALn_TMAX to the reason for doing this is my Quad is built aand this may be easier (I am a dumpling Scotsman after all please excuse) will this work o/k and I will do full temp calibration on my 4 inch quad when I build it

I have had good results with INS_TCALn_TMAX = 60 [°C] so far, even with boards without a heater. If it doesn’t reach the 60°C it just stops after 10 minutes without significant temperature increase (< 0.5°C).

Regardless of that I would recommend to follow the Temp-Cal section in “How to methodically tune (almost) any multicopter using ArduCopter 4.4.x”, I know you know the guide.

It works for a complete drone exactly the same way as it would for a single FC (except you need more freezer space) and by using the offline calibration tool you are able to verify the quality of the calibration.

1 Like

Thank you Jan,I will do the auto temp on my 3 incher,then on the 4 incher I will give it the Freezer treatment and full methodical treatment

1 Like

Do the temp calibration before you build the drone. ie: flash the firmware then do the calibration, then install it into the airframe. That way the loved ones don’t question your sanity when they see you stuffing drones in the freezer. It’s easier to hide a FC behind the frozen veggies.

1 Like

Thanks Allister,when I start on the next one that is the plan,the loved ones have put me in a back to front jacket and a padded cell and just shake there head as they pass me,even when I take doggie out it is allways at end of 15 m lead and just looks at me strange but they wont get me to give up ardupilot lol,yes Allister since this Methodical tuning has come about,I am learning more every day and enjoying every moment,You and your family have a great day

1 Like

That’s one of the things about Ardupilot, with my students I’ve tuned a lot of 10" quads in the last couple of years, and still I’m learning new things every day. The Methodical tuning has got me planing “re-builds” just so I can methodically work through all the steps. Cheers!

1 Like

Honestly Allister the 3 Amigos I am Pete.Amilcarlucas and xfacta Shaun plus your good self Allister,give me a purposeI find some of the stuff very challenging but just take my time and when im stuck ask a question but Ardipilot is my daily therapeutic medicine to give me inspiration thank you every one of you

3 Likes