Metal Cube Orange Plus

Howdy. I am trying to configure F9P ardusimples for RTK on the brand new cube orange plus with the bronze metal finish. I was able to get it to work on the old cube orange plus but for some reason every time it boots it boots to north regardless of its direction. But despite this it still registers yaw and it does not have a heading drift and I do have RTK fix. I am running 4.4.0. but switching to 4.4.4 presented the same issue. I have been trying to work through this for a good week or so. Any guidance would help. Cheers!!!
Also, if anyone has a spec sheet on the new orange plus with the metal finish that would be sweet. I have a piece of hardware that is only able to work on a very specific build of a prior firmware version.

Edit: added more info
Edit2: asked for specs

Identical specs with a more rugged case.

Can’t help you if you don’t provide more information than “it doesn’t work.” Need a log or parameter file, at a minimum.

Starting V2.param (18.9 KB)
Totally fair, my bad.
So if the internal hardware is the same then why will it not work with older firmware (Pre 4.4.0)?

Nothing to do with firmware version and everything to do with poor configuration. It appears you want to use moving baseline, but you only have one serial port set up for GPS (protocol 5). And are you really using 4 different telemetry ports?!:

You have no GPS types set for uBlox moving baseline (types 17 and 18):

And unless your antennas are placed perfectly diagonally from one another, these offsets are probably wrong:

Wiki instructions here:
GPS for Yaw (aka Moving Baseline) — Copter documentation (ardupilot.org)

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I have all telem ports used.

Yes, its a quad with the antennas on the arms which are made from CNC’d carbon. Ill comb through the wiki. Thanks man!!

I find that hard to believe. And if you are indeed using (and need 4 telemetry ports), you will not have one available for the second GPS module. I’m also not aware of a Cube carrier that breaks out SERIAL5 for general use. So your configuration is very odd.

On a prior build I was able to get the two f9ps stacked and use just the GPS1 port.
x8 PARAMS.param (18.0 KB)

Those parameters make no sense, either, nor do they show a “stacked” GPS configuration.

In the x8 PARAMS file, you have two serial ports configured for GPS:

Yet you have CAN GPS types specified:

There is no moving baseline configuration there.

Idk what to tell ya, this is a configuration that both works and flies very very well. Have you worked with the F9P?

I’ve worked with it extensively (the wiki’s own GPS-for-yaw example video is my rover), and I know what to tell you:

The parameter files you shared both differ greatly from one another, and neither makes sense for the reasons I’ve stated.

While your second example might fly well, it is misconfigured (seems to be using two DroneCAN GPS modules, despite having some serial ports also configured for GPS), and it definitely isn’t using GPS for yaw.

Exactly what products are you trying to configure? Make/manufacturer (not just module type)?

I have the ardusimple rtk 2b heading kit connected to GPS1 only

Then you need to follow this guide:

How to configure simpleRTK2B Heading – Basic Starter Kit and connect it to ArduPilot - ArduSimple

I never recommend this particular product because it is nearly incompatible with ArduPilot and very tedious to set up. Nevertheless, it CAN be done, but follow the guide carefully and do not skip any steps.

In that guide, they use SERIAL1 (Telem1). You can use SERIAL3 (GPS1) or SERIAL4 (GPS2) if you wish, just modify the steps to suit.

For others reading this, it is far preferable, in my opinion, to use two SimpleRTK2B boards and follow ArduPilot’s own wiki, which allows for more automated (and reliable) configuration.

1 Like

What would be a better option than this one? Do you know of any US made units that can work through one serial port?

Edited my post above with a recommended ArduSimple configuration (uses two serial ports).

I don’t know of a US-manufactured solution (and ArduSimple is from Spain), but the CUAV C-RTK2 HP is a good choice and only requires a single CAN connection.

Despite my recommendation, you can indeed get the SimpleRTK+Heading board to work on a single serial port - it’s just a bit of a pain. So, you don’t need to spend more money right away.

I was looking at the CUAV. their flight controllers look like good options too but im trying to only by electronic components which are made outside of mainland china.

Ill get to rockin through that tutorial. It is very likely I missed a step when trying to do it from memory.

Edit: turns out GPS_AUTO_CONFIG was on. That might be the source of the issue

There are several other parameters that are not correct. Go through the ArduSimple tutorial step by step from the beginning.