Measurement Noise Parameters - Extended Kalman Filter

Hi all,

My question is: Should EKF measurement noise parameters (i.e. EK3_ALT_M_NSE) be changed manually, or if the sensor has autodetection will the EKF parameters automatically be updated?

I have been looking into extended Kalman filters to try and understand the theory. From what I have read in the wiki, the measurement noise parameters should be updated to the RMS value for the sensor itself (available on datasheets). I know many sensors have autodetection and wondered if these RMS values were already in ArduPilot and automatically updated, however, I cannot seem to locate this in the GitHub if this is the case. Apologies if this is there, I am not the most adept at navigating the code. We are looking at trying some new sensors so I just wanted to know if this was something that needed to be changed.

Thanks and happy flying!

1 Like

It works for most users without requiring a parameter change.

But… if you want to be extra precise, you need to change that parameter by hand and the value depends in your sensor and you need to be the one to measure it and set the parameter value.

1 Like

Thank you for the quick response!

To clarify, you are saying most R values are within a reasonable range already. If we have the exact RMS values we can update them ourselves, correct?

Correct.

And test, test test.

1 Like