Mavlink won't connect - Terminal works fine-APM 2.6 AC3.1.2

Well I’m at my wits end… everything work fine with the old 2.9 software… now nothing but headaches.

Setup:

• Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit PC (Desktop Dell PC, no Bluetooth, only Com1 serial)
  • Clean install of Mission Planner 1.2.98
  • APM 2.6 with everything except ESC’s disconnected (no compass, no gps, no Rx)
  • Serial Port Driver for Arduino Mega 2560 is 5.1.2600.0 by Arduino LLC (15/11/2012)
    EDIT: Just tried updating to 5.1.2600.1 driver, still same issue.

Symptoms:

1. Firmware updates fine via Mission Planner to 3.1.2.
  2. Terminal mode works fine (at 115200 baud), reports correct firmware version and displays the following:

Init ArduCopter V3.1.2 (ddd4d881)

Free RAM: 1599
FW Ver: 120

Load_all took 2037us
3No dataflash inserted3Arducopter V3.1.2]
Arducopter V3.1.2]
Arducopter V3.1.2]
Arducopter V3.1.2] ?
Commands:
logs
setup
test
reboot
help
Arducopter V3.1.2]

If I perform setup or test, I can show parms etc. appears to be working fine.

1. Connect via Mission Planner (Mavlink) results in timeout after 30 seconds and the error message “No Heartbeat Packets Received”.

I’ve tried the following:

1. Different USB port
  2. Powering APM via battery and then inserting USB (terminal again fine, mavlink no go)
  3. Connecting battery and Rx, then able to calibrate radio via terminal without any issues.
  4. Different baud rate for Mega 2560 serial port but appears to have no effect on Mission Planner. MP has to be set to 115200 before terminal window will display properly and has no effect on Mavlink connections. Tried all the way down to 9600. Again Terminal will only connect at 115200 which I find weird unless the APM itself is locked to 115200.
  5. Reset to factory defaults via Terminal.
  6. Trying to use terminal to setup accel results in “Initialising gyros” and then “Failed to boot MPU6000 5 times” multiple times and then finally “PANIC: failed to boot MPU6000 5 times”.
  7. Trying to view logs via terminal (by typing “logs”) results in “Log] logs enabled: none” and then it appears to hang the board, terminal window unresponsive.
  8. Flashing back to 2.91b does allow mavlink to connect but so far it wont set any params.

1. Just totally stripped down the board, only thing left plugged in is USB, no other cables. When trying to connect from Mission Planner this is what I get:

Connect via Flight Data Screen (MAVLINK):
Green LED is on near the GPS port and stays on.
Click on Connect Button
Blue LED flashes two quick times then one long flash then goes out
Red LED flashes two times quickly and then goes out
Orange LED near GPS port flashes occasionally while connect timer counts down
Still no connect and timeout/heartbeat error.

Connect via Terminal Window:
Green LED is on near the GPS port and stays on.
Blue LED flashes six times then goes out.
Red LED then turns on and stays on while connected.
Terminal works as normal

Any ideas? I’m all out of them.

Update: Well I may have figured it out… I had checked my APM before I did the flash upgrade to 3.1.2 as I stumbled upon the 3.3v issue while learning about the new firmware. Checked my board, it was fine, 3.3v on the I2C connector.

However now checking mine I see that it’s pretty much zero volts, looks like the 3.3v reg has blown. I’m not convinced yet that simply upgrading to 3.1.2 blew the reg… not impressed.

I’ll order a couple of spares form Digi key and see if this solves the connect issue with 3.1.2. Guess it’s time to break out the old KK2 board to fly, at least I know it’s tough!

Hi There,
I think I have the exact same problem as you with my new Pixhawk
I took the firmware update on the 22 of March and ever since then I am unable to connect. It was fine when I first loaded the firmware about 6 weeks ago. Can’t remember the version.
Now all I get is :
"no connect and timeout/heartbeat error."
I have re flashed firmware several times and also tried to update the IO flash by holding the safety switch when plugging in, nothing helps.
I will be watching this with interest! Lets hope we can get this resolved.
Cheers
Clive

verify what beep code you are receiving

check the bottom of this page
3drobotics.com/iris/info/

Just to confirm, replacing the 3.3v regulator did fix the issue.

Sooo is there going to be a fix for this (software? / better regulator?) I spend >$200 on this board just to have my regulator fried the 4th time I fly it… :imp: