MavFTP slow and CRC errors

Something is wonky with MavFTP in Mission Planner 1.3.80 build 1.3.8522.19145 and Arduplane 4.4.0-beta3 running on a Matek H743 Mini.
When trying to upload terrain data to the APM/TERRAIN directory on SD card using Mission Planner’s Config->MavFTP with the vehicle connected over USB it takes about 20 minutes to transfer a single 2.8MB .DAT file.

.bin log downloads, another MavFTP transfer I presume, are a lot quicker. A 30MB logfile takes couple of minutes.

Besides uploads being slow, every second transfer fails with a CRC error. Thus, file #1 succeeds, file #2 gives a CRC error, file #3 succeeds, file #4 CRC error, etcetera.
When transferring the file back to the host the files are not identical so MP is right. The only reliable method is upload a single file, disconnect, reconnect, upload another single file, repeat.

I tried to use MAVProxy for the FTP, but that does not work well either. ‘ftp list’ or ‘ftp list APM’ both come up with an empty list.

(I do know that pulling the SD-card would be the quickest method, but it is in an utterly unreachable location and I put a dab of glue on it to make sure it stays in. So I prefer transfer over USB)