Matek F405-Wing Half Duplex on any UART? For S. Port Telem

Hello all,

I have been experimenting with the Matek F405-Wing and Ardupilot. Previously, I had a Nano Talon with a repurposed 3DR Solo Cube (original PH 2.0) and it suffered an unfortunate crash. In my assessment (there were no logs) I can attribute the crash to a) the ringing on the RC input HW issue, b) ESC overtemp and cutout of the BEC, c) the crash happened on a command to auto mode while in a downwind turn (could have stalled) but the attempt to fly it out in manual did not work. So my thinking was that since the Matek F405-Wing is supported I would go to that platform as it seems to be successful and has it’s own BEC.

One of the things that I had working with the NT and the PH 2.0 was S. port telemetry with the RS-232 Maxim chip/diode on the input cable arrangement to get telemetry back to the transmitter. This did not work with the Matek F405-Wing. I gave it about 10 hours of T/S which included building up of new cables. This was pretty frustrating because I could see the FrSky receiver polling (through the adapter) and the board responding on the Serial port… I cannot explain why the RS-232 converter/diode cable did not work. Eventually I followed the suggestion of upgrading to AP 3.10-dev which seems to uncover the Serial options for setting the half duplex for a UART. For this last test I soldered a lead to the uninverted output on my FrSky R-XSR receiver and connected to both the TX & RX lines of the F405-Wing on various UARTs and set the bit masks for Serial options to half duplex, swap, etc. to no avail.

For all of these tests I set the baud to 57 (doesn’t matter since this is hard coded in AP to be set when selecting an FrSky telem option (4 or 10)) and option 4 or 10. I had no success in any configuration.

So, if you got this far, my question is: In AP 3.10-dev, does the half duplex setting of the Matek F405-Wing work?

Also, has anyone used the Matek 405-Wing and R-XSR and received telemetry successfully?

Thanks,
Neal

I have this working on two separate F405-wings and a standard F405, two of which are using a R-XSR. So It defiantly should work, the cheap converters are often quite dodgy

No, only F7 processors support this.

Thanks, Peter!

Are you using the telemetry converter (RS-232 with diode to make it half duplex)? I might yank a known for sure good working one off of a pixhawk and give it a go.

Thanks,
Neal

I have been using exactly this setup, Some soldering required I found adding a diode on the power supply stops it getting so hot. However on the F405’s you have the 3.3v pin you can power it off directly.

1 Like

Any particular UARTs?

shouldn’t matter, I think the only one you don’t get on the F405-wing is serial2 as its used for rc input. You can always test the ports are working with a gps or something first.

Thanks again. Yeah I tested all the ports with a SIK radio, all worked fine (Save port 2 of course).

Incidentally, it works with a teensy abstracting the data from a mavlink feed - but there are some issues here too, the teensy will periodically lose sync with the rx. But I think this has a lot of potential as companion mcu to the flight computer…

Whelp. You inspired me to try again and it works. Not sure what I was doing wrong for the first hours on this build. Thank you.

2 Likes

I spent hours trying to do the same thing with 405-wing and I couldn’t get it working either :frowning: I’ll try again, thanks for the chain inspiration!!

Neal what Uart did you finally used on F405 wing FC and voltage. And what parameters did you set on Mission Planner

I use Serial 2 using this home built adapter. Some soldering required

I find that I am 50/50 on the chinese rs-232 chips and not all boards are created equal. You can buy a cable from these guys. http://www.craftandtheoryllc.com/store/ct-telemetry-cable-for-frsky-radios/ select the single pins options.

Thanks,
Neal

Thanks for the information and advice. Will order cable from craftandtheory and continue to work on Chinese RS 232 as an experimental project. Hope to upload pictures once I am done with project and get things working. Thanks again for your time and help