Matek F405-VTOL in Heewing Ranger T-1

Hello. I’m running into issues while trying to calibrate my Matek F405 VTOL flight controller. Does anyone know of a work around for the following error…?

3/22/2023 1:45:27 AM : Config Error: fix problem then reboot
3/22/2023 1:45:25 AM : Config Error: INS: unable to initialise driver

Initially I was running into problems trying to do the initial sensor calibration so I wiped the board and loaded it with the latest arduplane_with_bl.hex file and now I’m getting this error when I connect via mission planner.
Any ideas?

What target did you install?

Sorry, this is my first build and first time setting up ArduPilot/Mission Planner. What’s a target?

I’m just wondering if you installaled the correct version of ArduPlane onto the board. It should be the Matek F405-TE firmware.

https://firmware.ardupilot.org/Plane/stable/MatekF405-TE/

1 Like

No. I just loaded the Matek F405. Let me try that…

Download the .apj from here and use the Load Custom Firmware buttom in MP to flash it as you already have the bootloader flashed.
F405-TE

Same link as @Allister posted.

YUP! That solved the issue.

But now I’m back to the problem of not being able to calibrate the sensors. When I lay it level to do the initial calibration I get “The Command failed to execute” Error.

I read somewhere that it may be exceeding its max pitch angle and that’s why I’m getting the error?

Is the board mounted in the plane yet or is it just on the bench?

Might be worth resetting everything and trying again. Have you changed the orientation of the board?

The board is already mounted in the plane. It was working last night before I installed it in the plane.

Also, I just realized I am loading my firmware with INAV Configurator, not custom firmware via mission planner like you guys have been saying.

But when I try to load it with Mission Planner, I get a no DFU driver message.

Once you have done the initial install with INAV or Betaflight then just stick to Mission Planner for all the updates.

Once you have ArduPlane on the board you can update or change versions without needing DFU. The trick is plug the board into your computer, but don’t press the “connect” button in mission planner. Just go directly to the firware update section in mission planner.

It’s asking if I want to upload via DFU. Is that a driver? If so, how do I get it as an option?

If you already have an Ardupilot firmware on the board you shouldn’t need DFU. But you can force the board into DFU mode by pressing the little button on the break out board beside USB port when you plug in the board.

So now when I opt to not use DFU (while trying to upload custom firmware) it tells me “Cant detect your Board version. Please check your cabling”

BTW, I really appreciate all the help guys. This is for a project for my degree and it’s had me pretty stressed. Getting this much help is really refreshing.

So not pressing the DFU button, connect USB and use load custom firmware in Mission Planner doesn’t do it?

Nope. It asks me “Do you want to upload this via DFU?”, then I hit cancel and the following message pops up…“Cant detect your Board version. Please check your cabling”.

So after stepping away for a few hours and then approaching it with a rested mind I was able to resolve the issue. I was so frustrated with it before that I’m sure I was missing some steps. I think stepping away when frustrated should be an unofficial rule for all things ardupilot :). Thanks again guys!

2 Likes