Matek F405 CTR + M8Q-5883: no GPS or compass data

I’m trying to setup an F405 CTR and GPS/compass module. I’m running copter 4.0.3 using the MatekF405 target. I’ve wired up the compass+GPS as shown here under the iNav instructions (Serial using tx/rx4). Serial3/4_Protocol are set to GPS.

The GPS module powers on and I quickly get a blinking blue LED on the GPS indicating signal fix. However in Mission Planner / QGC I get 0 satellites and no other GPS info, and the compass reports as “not healthy” and will not calibrate (bar never grows). Any ideas what’s going on?

Hi @npyoung - have you managed to solve this problem? I face something similar…

did you guys found out the issue?

It’s an old thread. Be more specific about the issues you’re having and maybe we can help.

1 Like

Thanks for coming in for rescue! Ok when I tried connecting Matek F05 CTR fc with a holybro pixhawk GPs module unable to see any I2C compass and GPS. But gps get powered up and goes for a fix. Does the fc has a internal compass?

The F405 CTR does not have a built in compass.

What do you mean unable to see GPS but GPS goes for a fix? When plugged into mission planner do you see the message “No GPS” or “GPS: No Fix”?

Can you explain how you have it wired? Maybe a photo or two?

This is almost certainly a case of mixed up RX/TX (and I2C) wiring or configuring more than one serial port for GPS.

1 Like

I have uploaded latest copter firmware from F405 target.
Attached some pictures

There is a blue gps fix led which blinks if you have a reception- I was taking about that

So what will be the solution

The RX from the GPS goes to the TX on the FC.
The TX from the GPS goes to the RX on the FC

Yes. Should I swap? Also did that but no luck

EDIT: I missed a post above.

Is this the GPS you’re using?

1 Like

Yes that is the one I am using

Did it have three connectors on it before the wires were cut off?

Also tried using the latest m9n from holybro

It was a single connector GRH 1.25mm 10P connector

I’m picking apart some photos on line so not making any promises this is 100%.

Red to 5v
black to ground
grey to TX
Yellow to rx

the orange and purple are for SCL and SDA. I can’t tell what is what you might have to try one way and then change it if compass isn’t working.

White brown and blue are for the safety switch. You don’t need those.

Purple for SCL and orange for Data. Do you want me to swap that too.

Do this:

You are using the wrong UART and have no I2C connection that I can see.

The Matek’s TX1 and RX1 pins map to SERIAL3 in ArduPilot firmware.