Magnetic interference in a EDF Quadcopter

Hello.

I am developing an EDF Quadcopter (X-type). I am struggling with magnetic interference and am looking for solutions, but the MagZ value is not improving much.

The electromagnetic shield is applied around the FC and some parts of the body. The battery is 12S, but the cube power module I am using can only read up to 8S, so I cannot read the accurate value.

Could anyone help me with this magnetic interference issue?

The equipment used is as follows.

Dimensions of the aircraft 420mm x 420mm x 400mm

Equipment used FC: cube orange Transmitter: SIYI MK-15 Compass/GPS: here3+ ESC: FLYCOLOR FLYDRAGON150A EDF: JPHobby EDF105 Battery: 12S (6S+6S series connection) Power module: cube power module

The distance between the compass and the EDF on the Z-axis: about 200mm

Thank you.

log download link
5/13 log

5/14 log

Have you considered using moving baseline RTK instead of a compass?

Does that include battery, ESC and motors? Th FC itself does not need to be shielded.

What phenomena occur due to magnetic interference?

Thank you for your reply. I have no experience with Moving Baseline RTK and had not considered it.

I plan to look at the documents in detail, but could you please tell me briefly about the settings and points to note?

Thank you for your reply. The ESC has an electromagnetic shield, and the EDF has wires installed to face the outside of the aircraft to release magnetism into the air. The battery is about 300mm away from the compass, so it is not shielded.

P.S.
I appreciate any advice you can provide after reviewing today’s flight log. Thank you in advance!

Thank you for your reply. When magnetic interference increases, the aircraft rotates on the yaw axis. Previously, once it started rotating, it could not be controlled. However, with the electromagnetic shield and other measures, it is now possible to control the aircraft even during rotation and return it to its original position.

P.S.
I appreciate any advice you can provide after reviewing today’s flight log. Thank you in advance!

Your project sounds very interesting! Just out of curiosity, what do you use as shielding material?

You basically need two RTK GPS modules (or one dual-antenna module) and Ardupilot will calculate yaw via the signal delay of the two inputs.

The caveats are that you need a GPS fix for it to work obviously, so only outside operation, and that the two antennas need to be placed at least 30cm from each other. You can specify the exact distance via GPS_MB1_OFS_X/Y/Z.

See here for configuration. And here for supported models.

Thank you for your detailed explanation! I also have a Here4 in addition to the Here3+. After creating a bracket to keep the modules 30 cm apart, I’ll try using these two sets. I appreciate any advice you can provide after reviewing today’s flight log. Thank you in advance!

Thank you for your reply.
I am very glad that you are interested!
I am currently using common aluminum tape and aluminum sheets for shielding.
If you know of any other good shielding materials, please let me know.
Best regards.

I have reviewed and adjusted based on the advice and documents you provided, but I was unable to set it up with the Here3+ and Here4.

I believe the reasons are as follows:

• The Here3+ and Here4 conflicted on the CAN bus.
  • The Here3+ does not support moving baseline (M8P).

After this, the compass on the Here3+ still works, but the GPS stopped functioning. This was due to connecting it simultaneously with the Here4’s F9P. I think rewriting the firmware will restore it to its original state. What do you think? I would appreciate your insight.

Attached is the log of the current stationary state after reverting the GPS parameters to the previous ones.