Low Level Flight

I have a TFMini on my plane and wondered what setting I would need to change in mission planner in order to do a low pass down the runway at about 1 - 2m in auto mode using the range finder.

David Ardis

we don’t support using the rangefinder like that at the moment. It is only used for things related to takeoff/landing

Is this coming, Terrain follow using range finder like Copter? I see some problems and multiple crashes, but given the right terrain this could be a valuable tool, when SRTM is just not accurate enough. I know nothing about code- first disclaimer, but trying to work through the Math in my head out loud.
It would need to look ahead using SRTM Data to maintain desired height AGL like the Current terrain follow. Using AC Parameters it would need to determine if the AC is able to ascend and descend within its performance (gross prediction) eg. height AGL 10m +/- 2m. If it can then using range finder it fine tunes its Height AGL by using a combination predicted SRTM elevation and positive feedback from range finder. It would also need to be able to predict if a flight path for range finder is outside of performance parameters and failsafe back to terrain follow (SRTM) until performance parameters can again maintain the desired height AGL. It would only ever be able to maintain a tolerance of +/- x meters.
Please let me know how confused and confusing my thought are on this.

I have a TFMini on my plane and wondered what setting I would need to change in mission planner in order to do a low pass down the runway at about 1 - 2m in auto mode using the range finder.

As tridge says, we don’t support this in master ArduPlane.

However, RCTestFlight are having a great deal of fun with their
ground-effect vehicle which does what you want.

The code may or may not be available.

David Ardis

Peter

I’ve only ever seen Ground effect used over consistantly flat surfaces, and the recent post on home page did incorporate lidar to adjust throttle PID to maintain height - even over rough water, that would be the code needed for terrain follow - I’m suprised how quickly it was able to respond, though one of the telemetry graphs clearly identified a small amount of lag…OMG so much to learn! Watching reading about watch people have been able to achieve.

Thanks for the replies. I missed the RCTestFight Ground-effect plane really cool and flies well. Is this the modified Ardupilot code?

David Ardis