Loss of altitude on 2nd flight

Had the hexa out last night for it’s maiden flight since updating to 3.3.3 Firmware… 1st flight went well… take off in STAB mode and then I checked flight modes were working… and they were…I threw the RTL switch when craft was 100m out… all worked without hitch…
on 2nd flight I took off in STAB mode and then went to ALT HOLD and then POS HOLD it was when it was in POS HOLD (I believe it was in POS HOLD) that the craft starting yawing to starboard, I did try and correct the yaw, but things just got worse, craft started to lose altitude, I gave it more throttle and then switched to ALT HOLD, and then went to STAB… after that things kinda went apeshit… craft just fell outa the sky, thank God the landing gear took the brunt of the energy… managed to eventually land the craft…

I did download the log files and had a peruse of the log in MP… but to be honest here folks I just don’t have a “Scooby Doo” as to what I am looking at or looking for here…

be grateful if a more experienced user could have a quick look see if there is anything amiss with the craft when it went nutso on me… TIA…

https://vimeo.com/176289922 about 10sec into video

LOGS FILE dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/s/ujyuxq9i1m2vv1d/Hexa_log_%20file%202016-07-25%2019-33-10.zip?dl=0

I’m not great at ready logs but here is my marginal thoughts on what happened. GPS was going from 10 sat’s down to 8 or 7 many times. This can cause the copter to move suddenly when using GPS aided modes. Also judging by the rc out numbers this aircraft seems under powered possibly. Lack of good GPS sat numbers and fluctuations would be my guess. I usually get 14 or 15 sats and if its cloudy and I only have 10 or so I am very careful with GPS modes.

Regards,
David R. Boulanger

Cheers David for replying…

I am not sure you what you mean by underpowered?? LIPO power?? , I had the same craft flying last week for about 8 min with the same type of battery… (though Pixhawk had 3.2.1 firmware loaded).

There was a great deal of metal all around the farm, so I suppose that could be a contributing factor with the GPS SAT loss…

I will have another flight once the weather improves here… and see how things go…

I really think you had a bad GPS event. Watched some of the video and you had a lot of cloud cover which can cause problems

Regards,
David R. Boulanger

Cloud cover shouldn’t be an issue. I mean, I’m open, of course, to any possibility, but wouldn’t we be having drones crashing by the thousands if cloud cover was an issue for GPS?

On days where my GPS went from 12 sats down to 8 very rapidly I have had problems with my F450 making sudden movements when using a GPS assisted flight mode. I think there some EKF parameters that can changed to help with this but can’t advise because I have not tried to play around with them yet.

Regards,
David R. Boulanger