Losing calibration when battery is disconnected

I bought the Pixhawk off a buddy who flew it regularly until the other day when he took it out for a flight and it started giving him warnings “RC Calibration needed” and Compass Calibration then ACC Calibration like it had been completely reset. As long as you leave it powered up you can do all the calibrations and fly it just fine but as soon as you disconnect the battery you need to redo calibrations. It flew fine a couple days earlier.

Is there a backup battery for memory in the Pixhawk that I can change out or is everything stored on non-volatile memory? I flashed it with the latest firmware and it does the same thing, firmware stays installed with no problem. I tried a new micro SD card and no luck. I’m hoping it’s as simple as replacing a battery inside or maybe a glitch I can correct with some advice from you knowledgable folks on here.

It is an authentic 3DR Pixhawk, all accessories have been removed to be sure it isn’t something related to a bad add on part, so that has been eliminated as well. Any help appreciated.

[quote=“mrtim41653”]I bought the Pixhawk off a buddy who flew it regularly until the other day when he took it out for a flight and it started giving him warnings “RC Calibration needed” and Compass Calibration then ACC Calibration like it had been completely reset. As long as you leave it powered up you can do all the calibrations and fly it just fine but as soon as you disconnect the battery you need to redo calibrations. It flew fine a couple days earlier.

Is there a backup battery for memory in the Pixhawk that I can change out or is everything stored on non-volatile memory? I flashed it with the latest firmware and it does the same thing, firmware stays installed with no problem. I tried a new micro SD card and no luck. I’m hoping it’s as simple as replacing a battery inside or maybe a glitch I can correct with some advice from you knowledgable folks on here.

It is an authentic 3DR Pixhawk, all accessories have been removed to be sure it isn’t something related to a bad add on part, so that has been eliminated as well. Any help appreciated.[/quote]

I recently ran into a problem that’s very similar, if not exactly the same. I hadn’t set up a PixHawk in several months and kept losing the compass cal whenever the battery was disconnected. I finally found that in Mission Planner there is a screen that asks what controller and software level. After actually answering this and performing a careful compass calibration (I use a 3DR radio connection and a rotating office chair I achieved a perfect cal that has worked since with no issues. I’ve even pushed a couple of RTL with the quad it’s mounted on returned to within less than a foot from the launch point.

Hope this helps,

Bob