[LOG] Quad loses altitude on auto, and loiter, and often will not switch to GPS modes with a two-tone beep

Log links below in the event anyone is willing to have a look and see if anything looks awry. I did check other related threads to check HDOP and GPS Sats.

I checked GPS sats, and HDOP, at time of crash in auto, everything seems fine. Second log (refusal to enter gps modes) shows same during multiple attempts to enter GPS modes unsuccessfully HDOP<1.4, Sats>9.

Would appreciate any insight anyone could provide.

Logs Attached:
Crash Log - Crash during autopilot
Refusal to enter GPS modes

I see two things on the first log. One, through MP autoanalysis, this is what it looks like:

Log File C:\Users\mbrummett\AppData\Local\Temp\tmpE6C6.tmp.log
Size (kb) 7425.1806640625
No of lines 96588
Duration 0:04:40
Vehicletype ArduCopter
Firmware Version V3.3.3
Firmware Hash 31b4e166
Hardware Type
Free Mem 0
Skipped Lines 0

Test: Autotune = NA -
Test: Balance/Twist = NA -
Test: Brownout = GOOD -
Test: Compass = FAIL - Large change in mag_field (40.78%)
Max mag field length (660.30) > recommended (550.00)

Test: Dupe Log Data = GOOD -
Test: Empty = GOOD -
Test: Event/Failsafe = FAIL - ERR found: CRASH
Test: GPS = FAIL - Min satellites: 0, Max HDop: 99.99
Test: IMU Mismatch = GOOD - (Mismatch: 0.14, WARN: 0.75, FAIL: 1.50)
Test: Parameters = GOOD -
Test: PM = NA -
Test: Pitch/Roll = NA -
Test: Thrust = NA -
Test: VCC = GOOD -

For an autopilot mission, that usually won’t have a good result.

Secondly, your vibrations look out of spec. Do you have the FC mounted on any antivibration media? A mount? Foam? Gel?

I’ll reply later for the second log if I see anything of note.

1 Like

Yeah I initially had it on the rubber dampened mount that came with the frame. After reading your post I went ahead and remounted it using the one that came with the pixhawk. I also noticed there was a bit of play in the foldable GPS stand, I didn’t think it was a big deal at first, but your remarks about vibration made me revisit that as well.

After adjusting both of these issues, vibration is a fraction of what it was, and compass/ekf variances are rare now instead of sporadic after 4 or 5 test flights.

VERY much appreciate your time and insight! Marking this as resolved!