Limited setup for PC-Joystick in MP 1.3.24, ArduPlane V3.2.3

I am using recently reinstalled MP 1.3.24 in Windows 10 Pro Technical Preview build 10041.

Using Saitek X45 dual control (throttle, rudder on the left and joystick on the right) in X-Plane 10, it works as expected, but MP 1.3.24 Planner/Joystick Setup does not autodetect movements. In addition, some controls like the rudder and throttle can be manually set OK (rudder=Rz, throttle=Slider1) but other controls like the joystick pitch and roll are not recognized even when manually assigned from all possible choices. Note that in a prior install of MP at least pitch was=Y and roll was=X but made minimal deviation in the raw numbers, and it looked suspect. During the de-install of MP I also deleted the orphaned Mission Planner folder from the computer following the usual Windows program uninstall. In both installations, autodetect did not function. The greater problem is not autodetect, but not detecting at all even when manually selected. I currently have no other joysticks to try setup with. I have reviewed all the 21 pages of this MP subforum and found no additional leads for this limited PC-Joystick issue.

@eber0206,
You might want to post your issue here http://diydrones.com/forum/categories/apm-mission-planner/listForCategory
Regards,
TCIII GM

[color=#FF0000]Solved:[/color] I updated Mission Planner from 1.3.24 Build 1.1.5574.33902 by selecting Mission Planner “Help/Check for [color=#FF0000]BETA Update[/color]s” which installed MP version [color=#0000FF]1.3.24.1 Build 1.1.5581.12999[/color]. This restored the abililty to map/configure the Saitek X45 joystick/throttle combo and “Enable” it (simultaneously disabling RC control) This BETA build also fixed changing and saving of the “Config/Tuning - Planner/OSD Color” selections and saving. If you subsequently choose to update using the current update (non-BETA edition) it will regress the solution back to a failure condition. Re-applying the BETA update after that restored the fixed solutions.

It did not fix the observed compass “drift” from zero I posted about in another thread.

After I updated Mission Planner from 1.3.24 Build 1.1.5574.33902 by selecting Mission Planner “Help/Check for [color=#FF0000]BETA Update[/color]s” which installed MP version [color=#0000FF]1.3.24.1 Build 1.1.5581.12999[/color], this restored the abililty to map/configure the Saitek X45 joystick/throttle combo and “Enable” it (simultaneously disabling RC control) for the session, and I thought hooray! But it failed as before the next morning when I re-powered up the APM and MP.

This BETA build however did fix changing and saving of the “Config/Tuning - Planner/OSD Color” selections and saving. Subsequently choosing to update using the “current update” (non-BETA version) regressed the joystick and OSD color saving back to failure conditions. Re-applying the BETA update after that restored the OSD (HUD) color changing and saving but the Saitek X45 remained unpredictable and limited in tuning. The one time the joystick tuned correctly using the BETA release correctly remains a mystery as to what was happening to produce this one time event. I am switching over to trying a Logitech F310 Gamepad to try and gain a comparative insight about these joystick issues.

The BETA did not fix the observed compass “drift” from zero I posted about in another thread.[/quote]

I have some new observations. I have acquired a Logitech F310 Gamepad to try as a control or comparison joystick device versus the Saitek X45. The good news is they are inexpensive ($24.95) and two things to note: Most of the time, MP is not configuring the Logitech F310 joysticks in the centered positions, with the one-time exception observed following an MP app crash; on return to MP and proceeding back to joystick configuration, when I activated any of the sticks they each assumed the centered position with a new range of deflection from 1000 on the low to 2000 on the high end and operated as I expected they should. This differs from the “bad” configuration where each F310 joystick (except for “throttle”) initializes at the low end at 1100 and will only deflect to 1900 on the high end, and only 1/2 of the joystick functions to cause this deflection from low to high and never centers in the app graphic as a centering joystick should. The Logitech F310 looks like it may be an easier unit for dev to debug than the Saitek X45 due to greater ambiguity and issues with the X45s, with the thought that resolution of the F310 issues may be inherited by the x45 (hopefully)

At this point I think joysticks functions need a significant review of the premise or procedures on which they are handled in the MP app.

Note: It is important for this thread to document my configurations have been updated to:

• MP 1.3.25 build 1.1.5589.3944
  • APM 2.8 with firmware 3.3beta1
  • My PC Logitech F310 joystick is set to “Xinput” games mode, not the older “DirectInput” games mode.
  • I am not using the Logitech “Profiler” Windows app (good for “DiectInput” mode, but not “Xiinput” mode)

In [color=#FF0080]Windows/Control Panel/Devices and Printers/Saitek X45 (right mouse click) /Game Controller Settings/Properties[/color], calibrate the controller before trying to auto-detect and set Min and Max and Trim values for each channel rcoverridech1 to rcoverridech8 in Mission Planner parameters. If the Saitek X45 is not first calibrated in Windows, it will send values that are too small to auto-detect or a range of values that are useable but not ideal in MP joystick operations.

This “issue” originated due to stupid user (me) disease. I am all better now and the Saitek X45 functions as expected in MP when first properly calibrated in Windows Devices and Printer. (Sorry to waste your time, unless you learned something from this)

1 Like