Lightware SF45/B issues with Copter4.0.7

I’m having issues with proximity lidar, I have a Lightware SF45/B, set it up according to the Ardupilot page (https://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/common-lightware-sf45b.html?fbclid=IwAR2nI5SfGk_bnbrrxROG8vg6rwGL8VzGAY_4xX6t0dKnDstrYdTcFOTjx6Y#common-lightware-sf45b).
It is not coming up on the Proximity radar page of Mission Planner. The Cube does not seem to even know its there. I have RX to TX and TX to RX, Its in Telem2 and i set up everything on Serial2. Baud rate of 115200 is set on lidar and serial2. Lidar is working properly as i can see hits on the lightware software. I’m using a BEC to power the lidar and it has a common ground with the Cube. Powers up fine and moves back and fourth as its supposed to.

UPDATE:
After seeing another users settings I noticed he was using Beta 4.1. I’m still on Stable 4.0.7. I tried and it works with Beta 4.1. Does not work with Copter 4.0.7. I don’t have the same menu options under Avoid with 4.0.7 as i do with Beta, no “backup” options. Also, i noticed it only works on Telem1 even though Telem2 has all the same settings.
Another note, while using Copter 4.0.7 the lidar will only start moving if it sees a Mav1 Protocol signal from the telem port when its powered up. Any other setting, i.e. Protocol 11 “Lidar360” it won’t move at all.

Possible bugs? @rmackay9

1 Like

I notice on Randy’s video of the 45 he says its on 4.1 so I presume it has just been implemented for 4.1 beta/release difficult keeping up

Hi @Gromitvt10
The Sf45/B’s driver was only implemented beginning of this year. So it’s not included in 4.0.7. You can only use it 4.1 onwards. Hope this helps.

1 Like

Thanks. Any reason why it only works on Telem1?

1 Like

@Gromitvt10 in my testing, I have noticed the Lidar is extremely sensitive to low power availability, for eg: when I powered my cube through USB, the lidar refused to work. When I powered it through a LiPo normally, it works.
So my guess would be that it can’t draw the amps it needs from Telem2, which might be available on telem1. But this is just an educated guess based on my limited testing. I think if you power the module externally, it’ll start working with Telem2

1 Like

Thanks, my module is powered via a 5.3v Mauch Power Cube. Maybe the new driver only works on Telem1. I’ll have to do more research, thanks for the info though, very helpful.

1 Like

Kyle and Gromitvt10 if you discover any other quirks or helpful advice will you please post and I will do as well

1 Like