Light GPS and FC

Hello. I am building a Zohd Dart 250 and want to actually keep it under 250g.
I found these parts and just wondering if any one can comment on any drawbacks of using these very light components?
HGLRC M100 MINI GPS (UBLOX chip). Is this compatible?
MATEK F405 F405-MiniTE FC

Or is someone can recommend something else better or cheaper that would be great.

I would use the Matek H743-mini. It’s what I have in a sub 250 craft. F4’s are getting old.

Thanks so much for your reply Dave. The Matek H743 Mini is about twice the price of the F405 I mentioned (and twice the price of what I paid for the Zohd model itself:). The cheapest I was able to find it is about $120 USD. Is there somewhere that sells this stuff cheaper than banggood and AliExpress?

I saw the Kakute H7 series which are light and much less expensive. Do I need to use a separate ESC with these?

The Kakute H7 Mini is a good flight controller for the price, and Holybro sells it stacked with a 4-in-1 ESC, if you so desire. None of the options you’ve mentioned so far include the ESCs.

One drawback of the Kakute H7 Mini is its lack of SD card for logging or advanced scripting functions. On such a tiny copter, I don’t think that will be much of a drawback, just know that you cannot enable Lua scripting, and log filespace will be limited to the onboard NAND memory (128MB, I think). You’ll have to retrieve the logs over USB rather than having the convenience of a removeable SD card.

ThanksYuri. It is not a copter though it is a Zohd Dart 250 (plane). In that case do I need an ESC at all?

If you plan on using a brushless motor, then yes. Just replace the word “copter” with “plane” in my post - it’s all still relevant.

EDIT: It looks like the plane comes in a kit with a motor, ESC, and servos, so you won’t need to buy a separate ESC, but you’ll need to make use of the one that’s included.

No, that’s the going rate. As Yuri says the Kakute H7 Mini is a good option if you won’t miss the features it lacks. These days as Ardupilot continues to add new features Future Proofing is an important factor for me. I wouldn’t necessarily need 2 IMU’s (Matek H743’s) but logging to Sd and Lua scripting as an option I think are important. Just for me though!

OK thanks again Yuri and Dave. Is the GPS I chose compatible with Ardupilot? I didnt see it in the list but it is a UBLOX based one. (HGLRC M100 MINI GPS)

I think that GPS would be compatible, and it looks very nice for the price, but…

There is no compass module, meaning you will need that separately. It’d be hard to beat the price of the Matek M8Q-5883, which includes a compatible GPS and compass.

2 Likes