LIDAR "unsupported"

Greeting!
Could I run an unsupported Lidar (Slamtec RPLidar C1) with Lua script or Mavlink on Pixhawk 6C? I should run a very simple script. I don’t know if the size of the code determines whether I need to run a companion computer?
If anyone knows a simple, working code, I’d appreciate it.

1 Like

I know you only posted 13 days ago but did you have any luck with this I’m looking at the same lidar sensor and the pixhawk 6C also.

I tried this (and it’s a great idea anyway):

but I ended up in a jungle, because there was no Arduino support for PRLidar C1.

I read the article and I’m going to assume that means no. I hope somebody keeps working on it because why are the only lidar supported the most expensive. Any luck with the RP lidar A1 M8 or any of the cheaper 360 lidar.

Why would you use an I2C library for a serial device?

If you want to write a Lua driver for this, connect it directly to the autopilot and use the scripting rangefinder or proximity sensor backend.

Use the product datasheet to guide your endeavor.

I will repeat myself here, but … here it goes.

If RPLidar would provide a RP lidar A1 M8 or a PRLidar C1 for free to the dev team, support might get added.

You, the users, could plead for it! I asked this many times already, but so far no user was willing to spend time writing to RPLidar. :frowning:

Doesn’t ArduPilot have a budget for such things?

As an alternative, could a user lend their personal device to a developer for the time it takes to write the supporting driver?

Anyway, all credit to the development team, without them we wouldn’t be anywhere. I’d be happy to send you the Lidar, or write it myself if there was guidance. (from the RPLidar C hexadecimal code, I am already a professor)

This is good news! Could you provide an example program for this?

thank you for the quick reply!

Someone else did it:

Very nice to see these low cost sensors available to Ardupilot.

How are they working? I know the construction is not as strong as the industrial variants.