Lets get this stright

So I have done two new builds. One is a octo and the other is a quad. I have loaded the newest firmware, and when I throttle up, both flip over forward onto their back.
I am not new to the APM and have another quad that flys like a dream, but has not been running the latest firmware. From what I am reading the newest firmware 3.1 has an issue that is causing others to have the same problem I am? And reverting backward in the firmware seems to clear up the problem? The other topics on this issue go a little wayward because some are new to the platform and have other issues, (Basic config loading mistakes ect)

I just want to make it clear that there is an issue in 3.1 and what is the best version to revert back to that will clear up the rolling over forward issue.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like a problem with board orientation. I did this with my brand new hex and had to wait a few days for props for continued testing. If the board is backwards, the APM will think it is flipping in the opposite direction and magnify the flip. You would need to change AHRS Orientation parameter.

It could be that your motors aren’t connected to the right inputs. Double check this to be sure.

As always, logs of the problem would really help.

[quote=“texag”]Sounds like a problem with board orientation. I did this with my brand new hex and had to wait a few days for props for continued testing. If the board is backwards, the APM will think it is flipping in the opposite direction and magnify the flip. You would need to change AHRS Orientation parameter.

It could be that your motors aren’t connected to the right inputs. Double check this to be sure.

As always, logs of the problem would really help.[/quote]

Thanks for the response. I have a octo X-8 config on a tarrot ironman frame, and am having this problem, but I also have a spider frame that I just did and was having the same issue. I spent all night and day going through the programming and found the issue. I am running the latest FM version and set the prams for beginner. it pitches forward on take off, so if you start off slow it will just do its flip. Keep in mind it does have a brushless gimbal on the front with a go pro. The rear is set with a 3300 mha 11.1 3s.
So what I have found is, that unless the auto trim has been done it will have these issues. Starting off slow makes it just tilt forward, I have to pitch back to get it up and stable. I will be doing an auto trim sequence in a little while and will see how she goes, but, all in all she is flying. I did the motor test in terminal mode, just making sure the orentation of the motors were correct, and that goes just fine although I did notice something. Reading through the wiki it says that it will start with the first front right motor and work its way clockwise. But with mine, it starts at the first rear left and works clockwise. Not sure if this is an issue but I spent today switching up motor orientation to see if it would do motor one first, then 4, then 2 then 3 then end at 1. But no go. It starts at motor 2, then goes to 3, then 1 then 4. (Shrugs) not sure why. (This is a x config btw)

I am not running older firmware and got the issue sorted, I think. I will update here with some video in a couple of hours as I am in the lab with both the aircraft all night tonight.
Any other input would be greatly appreciated.
(Ps.) I will upload the logs from the flight testing and would GREATLY appreciate any advice on extra tweeking and setting. ) Cheers!

There is no issue in 3.1, and your problem lies somewhere else. Reverting to some other code will not solve your problem.

Off the top of my head, I am going to guess that your airframe CG is not balanced front to back, due to the camera and gimbal on the front. Then, I’m going to guess that your Rate Pitch Imax is still set at the default of 500. Try increasing it in 500 point steps until the craft flies level. You may always get some amount of initial tipping on lift-off until the controller can compensate for the CG offset, but it should not flip.