Large Vehicle MagCal steps

I followed the steps mentioned in the ArduRover documentation for large vehicle calibration. However , i wanted to make sure that the steps followed by me are correct since a good heading is essential for autonomous missions.

The steps followed by me are:

1. Kept the flight controller (Pixhawk 6C) on a flat surface facing some direction
  2. Opened the compass application in my iphone and placed it parallel to the pixhwak pointing in the same direction on the same surface to know the direction at which it is pointing.
  3. Noted the angle in degrees from the app and entered the same values in the large vehicle calibration tab in Mission Planner
  4. Got the mesage ’ Calibration Complete’

Am i missing any steps in the calibration. Please correct me if I am doing something in any of the steps.

Also is this an effective method of calibration in the long run. The reason why I am following this calibration procedure for my boat is because I want to consier the magnetic field caused by other components in my boat while doing the calibration.

Not necessarily. Use Magfit instead.
Magfit
Drive several figure 8’s with some throttle changes and use that log in MAVExplorer as per the video.

1 Like

@dkemxr Thanks for the information.

To just clarify the method mentioned.

1. I need to calibrate the compass first by compass dance
  2. Drive the boat in figure’s for some time to record the log
  3. As per the video use the log to obtain the corresponding parameter values
  4. Update the values in the parameter list

Please correct me if I am worng in any of the steps.

Yes, exactly right. Any kind of initial calibration is good enough as long as it completes.

1 Like

@dkemxr Thank you.

One more calrification. The log file is the one downloaded from the pixhawk using Mission Planner right?
Is EKF doing the comparison between the value given by the magnetometer and the required heading? If yes how does it know the actual heading to provide the correction?

Yes.

This video is for the upcoming Webtools based Magfit but it explains what’s going on:
Webtools Magfit

2 Likes

@dkemxr Thanks for sharing the video.
So from what I understood the pixhawk just provides the log file and the analysis tool does the job and provides the corrected parameters.

"The analysis takes the vehicle’s position, attitude, and reported compass fields and compares it to the world wide magnetic field database to determine what the compass fields SHOULD be at each position and predicts the expected field. "

Is that right?

Yes, right. I have found it to be very effective on Multirotors and Rovers. Haven’t tried it with Plane.

1 Like

@dkemxr Thanks for the help.

Have you used MAVROS to control your Rover?

No.

1 Like