Large hexacopter good enough tuning ready for autotune?

Hi,

we have a large hexacopter (22"inch props), about 12kg.

tmotor and esc combo set with alpha esc

We have set the manual tuning to have a safe flight and we would like to finish the tune with the autotune.

but… we have some fear about autotune previous tune conditions.

in the log have 2 flights, auto flight and manual flight with manual inputs to test the pids.

this tuning will be good enough to make a safe autotune?

thanks

https://fileport.io/SrFZ93B3sAhT

Your vibrations looks high. You could search for solutions to reduce on wiki and forum.

yes, we are working on it. mounting the autopilot on thicker carbon plate more rigid.
the question its about pid tuning if these tuning is good enough to make a safe autotune.

Not much point if the vibe levels are high.

2 Likes

Do not autotune if vibrations are high or there are other issues, you might destroy your vehicle.

I advise you to read some more on vibrations and read section one of the How to methodically configure and tune arducopter.

After that you can start ArduPilot methodic configuratior at step file 17.

We are working in reduce the vibe level with 3dprint damper mount for cube (the tilted one silenblocks model, not the cheap and old 3dprint models)

the vibes overall have a great reduction but… we still have moderate vibe levels in x and y axis. in z the vibes are ok

pictures of Y and Z vibe axis with the damper mount for FC.

how we can improve the Y vibes?

with these mount, we have noticed that the current pid tuning are less accurate, must be done some pid tuning to improve the overall tuning of the craft

the latest .bin file of the test

https://fileport.io/Prehf76F8hbN

X and Y axis vibe come from wiring problem?

I agree it’s probably the wiring, especially all those Servo wires in a bunch. They need to be quite flexible near the flight controller and secured to the frame (or base plate) so you dont have the weight of all the wires pulling on the FC.

For T-Motor Alpha ESCs you need these:

MOT_PWM_MIN,1100
MOT_PWM_MAX,1940

and retest for

MOT_SPIN_ARM
MOT_SPIN_MIN

You might need to increase expo to 0.6, but more flights will tell.

Set logging:

LOG_BITMASK,180222
INS_LOG_BAT_MASK,1
INS_LOG_BAT_OPT,4

Set the Harmonic Notch filter:

INS_HNTCH_ENABLE,1
INS_HNTCH_MODE,1
INS_HNTCH_REF,0.15
INS_HNTCH_FREQ,40
INS_HNTCH_BW,20
INS_HNTCH_FM_RAT,0.7

and it can be refined after the next flight.

I would use the VTOL Quicktune script.

1 Like

Thanks for the update, i will make more flights with these updates.

setting up the notch filter as you says and logging options to improve it with the data of next flights

our main goal now its improve the wiring system in the servo outputs to make them more flexible and dont transmit any load to the fc.

i will try too the quicktune