Kakute H7 rssi pin for 2nd battery monitor?

I’m running rover 4.5.5 on a Kakute h7, and when I went to enable a second battery monitor I saw a “This feature is not enabled in your firmware” popup. Checking the full parameter list when I enable a second analog voltage only sensor, I see no way to set the input pin. I would like to use the analog rssi pin on the fc to read a voltage divider for a second independent aux device lipo that my vehicle uses. Is it possible to setup a second battery monitor with rover on the Kakute h7?

I don’t have a Kakute H7 but I do have an F7 Mini version with RSSI on pin 15. I configured a 3rd battery monitor (already having 2) using this as the Voltage pin and while the input is floating there were no errors and it’s reading an open input I think. The RSSI pin on the H7 is 8. Try that.

PC5 RSSI_ADC ADC1
define BOARD_RSSI_ANA_PIN 8

1 Like

Thanks for the quick response. So it looks like I’ll need to compile to get where I want to go here. You are correct RSSI is “pin 8” on the h7. I haven’t compiled ardupilot since APM/arduino. So not what I was hoping to hear TBH, but good to know it’s feasible after I familiarize myself with compiling the latest code.

I don’t think so. That’s just an excerpt from the existing hwdef showing the pin number. Assign the battery monitor pin to #8 and away you go.

The issue I’m having is there is no way to configure the pin used for a second battery monitor on the released firmware for the h7. You can see from my parameter file (attached below) that I enabled battery monitor 3, but there is still no associated pin parameter, unlike battery monitor 1. In fact there are several other parameters missing compared to batt1. I suspect this is due to the what the pop up warning said, the firmware doesn’t have that feature compiled in or something.

So I still suspect this is a feature that would need to be compiled from source. Perhaps the reason it works on the f7 mini is it was configured in source before compiling the fw. Not sure why that is not the case with the kakute h7, but it sure would be nice to have more flexibility given the limited gpio on the board (especially the analog inputs).

parameters.param (30.2 KB)

[edit: TBH, given the popularity of modern telemetry capable rx’s, I’m not even sure why an analog in is used for rssi by default (not just software, also the silk screen). In my case rssi comes from elrs. So my pin8 is dormant and waiting for a divider to monitor the aux lipo volts.]

Usually after enabling one of those params, you need to refresh the parameters before the remainder of the associated ones show up. Recommend enabling them in order (use batt2 instead of batt3).

There’s very little substantive difference between the firmware for the mini vs the larger board.

I did refresh (actually the latest MP has a pop up and refreshes itself when needed). I get the same result using batt 2 or 3… just tried with 3 to be sure 2 wasn’t just a glitch. To be sure, the image above shows the parameters that come up after refreshing (you only get the “_MONITOR” parameter before refreshing).

Did you reboot? I have an H7 mini (not an F7 like Dave’s), and I got the exact same incomplete list as yours before rebooting. After reboot (and refresh), I get the option to set the pin.

When I set the pin to 8, I get a floating voltage like Dave experienced because nothing is connected - but it’s functional.

Before you go chasing ghosts in the source code, try it again. Be sure to reboot AND refresh afterward. Maybe even completely power cycle and reconnect, just to be sure. I’m 99% sure you’ll get what you need.

1 Like

Perfect…

That turned out to be the problem. I took it for a quick drive, brought it inside, plugged in, and now all the parameters were there. Got on the forums to mention that, and saw your post. Thanks for your patience and advice Yuri_Rage!

Cheers,
Kevin

[edit: FWIW, I guess I was also clicking through those pop up messages too fast. I just disabled batt3, and enabled batt2. After enabling batt2, it did say “reboot to show all parameters” in one pop up, and in a second pop up the more familiar “refresh to show all…”. So it seems you devs are already on top of this, and I was just trying to move too fast where I missed that key bit of info.]

1 Like

Glad we got it sorted!

1 Like