JSBSim can't connect to APM Planner 2.0.20 + assorted issues

Hi there, I’m new here and to APM Planner and everything Arducopter. I’m trying to work on autonomous UAV control, but I can’t even make the simulations to work properly.

I’m trying to simulate multiple planes on a PC, and monitor them with APM Planner. I’m working on Debian 8 x64, and installing APM Planner 2.0.20 was a pain. Once the compiling was done and everything was up and running, I could start JSBSim from the ArduPlane folder and APM Planner would automatically connect to it.

I was messing with the software, trying to make APM Planner to listen to JSMSIM through the TCP/IP connection, and since APM Planner wouldn’t even try to connect to anything but Serial, I deleted the default connections… And now I can’t manage to get any connection from any instance of JSMSim. Even more, everytime I start APM Planner, it automatically sets up a Serial connection, and attempting to connect to it results in APM Planner crashing with a SegFault error.

What am I missing? Am I doing something wrong?

You don’t connect JSBSIM directly to APM Planner 2.0. The jbssim is connected to the simulation. APM Planner 2.0 just connects to the aimualted autopilot (the same as a normal autopilot)

http://ardupilot.org/dev/docs/sitl-simulator-software-in-the-loop.html#sitl-simulator-software-in-the-loop