Is the Sky Viper Journey SE copter/transmitter pair user upgradeable to Ardupilot?

Set up your Pi as an access point with the same name as the JourneySE, start sniffing and let the app connect to it.

TBH I think I’m almost done with this drone as I’ve answered the question of whether it was hardware compatible enough for a simple firmware set swap. This was when I wasn’t sure I’d ever get a non-SE unit. To me, the SE is looking like any other manufacturer’s drone now that I know it’s not so easy. As I mentioned above, I can’t even get the SE app you’re suggesting I use (without jumping through some hoops). I’m grateful that SkyRocket released the original ArduPilot products and I realise that the low end drone market is brutal (local hobby shop won’t carry ANY quads but DJI) so I respect their SkyRocket’s attempt to pivot. And maybe what we’ve done here so far will help them because they won’t get unnecessary tech support calls from people who are confused, especially if a used unit they get/buy without packaging isn’t working as expected. I’m curious but definitely not enough to keep it and try porting to it. And, as new, it’s too expensive to keep for parts, but at least knowing what I’m looking at will help me if a used/broken one comes along for cheap.

P.S. I’ve solved my 5.8G problem by ordering a $4 USB dual band WiFi dongle but who knows when that will show lol although I guess their’s no guarantee that it will do monitor/prolific mode. Although probably not necessary for this.

A telling description taken from an ad on Kijiji that showed up yesterday:

“Journey Pro Video Drone. Excellent working condition. Tried a couple of times but too advanced for my son.”

Odds are it won’t, you should’ve checked that before buying. But you could raise the fake AP at 2.4GHz and the app probably won’t care if it’s not 5.8G and will try to connect, then listen for connection attempts.
There’s a chance the thing can speak MAVlink, and we don’t know for sure if it’s running some version of ArduPilot on the FC.
When you connect thru WiFi with the Journey you are not connecting to the FC but to the companion board.
It may be that they couldn’t source anymore the Sonix board and had to replace it with something else, but the FC is maybe the same.

I think it would have allowed me to connect to the AP of the SE which then would have given me access to the not-sonic board for more testing. As it was I couldn’t even see it from my windows box but I’m assuming the cheapo dongle would have allowed a simple AP connection. I must say it annoyed me that I had to stop at that point so I’m glad I will have 5.8G capabilities for when this type of thing happens. I didn’t even have wireless turned on because this box is wired.

Yes, the FC could well be ArduPilot but it could just as well be CleanFlight(ClearFlight?) as I think I’ve read elsewhere. It’s not hard to recompile existing code for different platforms especially if you already have a product line and expertise with a other FC software. Doing so means eventually not having to support multiple environments which can really simply (lower cost) tech support. Anyway I can’t even run the app or connect to it easily at the moment so I don’t think I’m the guy to take this one any further. The SE isn’t even supposed to be available in Canada; I got it by mistake. Eventually someone will have one they actually own to dig into because they can’t return it. I’ll just pick up a non-SE Journey used if I want another and spend time on the many other distractions of RC lol If things change I’ll post here

Perhaps @Matt_M is still around to ask? The SkyRocket guy. Doubt it…

Hehehe… I’m still here and lurk, but I’m not of any use anymore, I’m afraid.

I wasn’t even aware they were doing an SE version… LOL.

Basically, the SkyViper team was let go after we launched Journey. I guess we did such a good job, they felt like we didn’t need to iterate further and they just planned for multiple years of churning out the same product over and over. From then on, it just becomes a game of “let China find a cheaper way to make it” and that tends to lead to cheaper parts that were promised to work ‘exactly like the original’ but as we all know… they do not.

The v2450 GPS was still the one I’m most proud of. That had TaoGlass receivers, etc. The Journey performed well, but not AS good, due to the cheaper components. I have NO IDEA what’s inside an ‘SE’.

Sorry!

-Matt

2 Likes

It’s a good craft, I still have one and fly it occasionally.

Sorry for doubting you, thanks for the reply!

Thanks for coming out of lurk mode and commenting! Great to get a little background. Nice job on all of it, BTW. But NOW you tell me that v2450 is better LOL! Good to know that I shouldn’t shy away from owning one. Shame they didn’t go upmarket instead of canning the team. It sounds to me like the whole ‘journey’ :wink: would make a great business school case study.

1 Like

It’s a good little craft for what it is. I quickly switched to a Orange DSM2 module and flew it with my Taranis, these days I have a Radiomaster which works equally well. Getting the protocol to operate is a bit fiddly but it works.

Does it fit inside? Because I was wondering what to do when I get a name brand transmitter. And, of course, what transmitter I should get. I’m reluctant to go too crazy on a tx because I’m not sure how deep I’m going to get into RC yet. And I’m more into robotics than the actual flying myself. Although that might change! That’s why I’m starting with the SkyViper GPS units. Perfect to try flying and GC until I know better.

P.S. Amazon shipped the Journey I’ve been waiting for this morning, from California…

The Multi Protocol Module in the Radiomaster supports the protocol directly with the existing receiver. Or a Multi Protocol JR bay module would work as does a Hobbyking Orange DSM2 module (if they still make that).

The video stream you can get on a laptop with Mission Planner although I never bother to use it.

Yes, I looked up the Orange DSM2 on ebay after your last message and it motivated the question of where do you put it on a Journey? Attach to the outside? I haven’t taken a Journey apart but I’m assuming connection is easy enough but if it means sacrificing other functionality I’d have to weigh the costs and benefits. But this is definitely the question I need to have answered and the Radiomaster looks like a fit. The nice thing about wifi is that the ground control station also doesn’t need new costly hardware. Have you seen the Mission Planner Android App? How would one connect a telemetry radio to that? USB? Then where does the charger plug in? With mobile being so popular, I’m assuming solutions to this are being developed as I write! So it’s really looking like a lower priority item ATM but I’ll def keep my eye open for a deal on a Radiomaster. Thanks!

No need to attach any module to the Journey. The radios are compatible.
See:

1 Like

The key phrase was “with the existing reciever”.

1 Like

Thanks, @grone. My next move was to do a site search, assuming this issue had long been dealt with. I’m only really back on this project because I’ve finally got hardware to play with so lots of things to get up to speed on. I even picked up an old Pixhawk and accessories so that I’ve got something more general purpose to fuss with that could be used on another style of copter or maybe a rover.

BTW I can’t thank you ALL enough, including all those who have put ArduPilot together. I probably wouldn’t be here if it weren’t the SkyViper GPS units and for sure if there wasn’t an open source project like ArduPilot that isn’t just for aircraft. I’m a little late to the party but there are more coming and maybe this thread will help a bit.

Yep, but I don’t want to lock myself into something just because my first units were entry level. I’m not in a rush for this and luckily there are many other things to spend money on lol.

"But this is definitely the question I need to have answered and the Radiomaster looks like a fit. "

Hi folks, quick update. Amazon’s replacement for the SE arrived from California and…it was also an SE. So it has gone back too and the refunds are done. Their ad still says Journey 1849 (the Ardupilot version) so, for those who want to order one, make sure that is what you get and not the SE. I was able to get 2 1849’s used (but like new units with good batteries) for not much more than a new one, so I’m set. Thanks for the help. Looking forward to really start messing around when the snow melts.

just some reference pics of the insides of the SE, i dont have the non SE version for comparasion, but based on the hardware specs listed on the site here its clearly different. hope this helps for this discussion.

1 Like

In case anyone is having troubles getting the SkyVipter GPS to work with Copter-4.3.0 please comment over here and/or try setting these parameters to see if it helps.

• SERVO5_FUNCTION = -1
  • SERVO6_FUNCTION = -1

Thanks!

FYI @grone