Is my RC compatible?

Hello all,

Is the RC pictured compatible with a holybro x500 v2 kit linked below?

The RC is pictured below in Dropbox, would I also require something else with the RC?

Why post a link to a picture in a Dropbox and not post the picture itself?
The radio in question is a Taranis QX7 for everyone who doesn’t want to click the link.

The answer is yes and no.

Out of the box the radio is not compatible with the X500 dev kit, you are missing an RC receiver.
Once you have an RC receiver that is compatible with the Taranis QX7 they are also compatible with the X500 dev kit.

Hi Jan,

I tried to upload it directly, but it says file exceeded 4.4MB so I had to use dropbox instead. I see, I just need to find an RC receiver compatible with both the RC and drone? Would you happen to know of any?

It’s a Frsky Taranis ACCST Transmitter so pick a Frsky ACCST Receiver.
Frsky ACCST Rx
Note: If you choose one that has ACCESS capability it will likely come flashed with that firmware which won’t work. They can easily be flashed with ACCST firmware with the Transmitter if you know what you are doing.

Hi Dave,

This is the one that the university has, I have no idea if it has ACCESS ability. Is there anyway to tell for sure if it has ACCESS capability and if so how the firmware can be changed?

Look at the picture of the radio. In the lower right corner of the transmitter is written “ACCST”. So no, this transmitter is NOT compatible with ACCESS.

If you get a receiver that has the ACCESS fw, it can be flashed to ACCST, like Dave already wrote.

Hi Jan,

Thank you. Since this RC is not ACCESS does that mean out of the box it has the correct firmware? Will the frsky accst receiver be fine to use? Sorry for the confused question I still don’t quite understand how it works as it is my first time.

Simply put you need an ACCST compatible Receiver or one that says it supports D8/D16 mode like a Radiomaster R81V2. Those are cheap so I suppose it fit’s the bill for you.

Wait-Those receivers may not work. Only with the Frsky radios that have an MPM module I think. Too much info for you I know. So, better stick with a Frsky Rx like a R-XSR.

Hi Dave,

Thank you for clarifying. I will see if I’m able to get one. But as you’ve mentioned before, I’ve set the x500 v2 bdshot parameters and have loaded the bdshot firmware from the .apj file as I did not have it before. Worst case, If I’m not able to get it am I able to try to hover through mission planner? As I’m also not sure how long it will take to tune the RC if I manage to get the Rx

You won’t find anyone on the forum that thinks that’s a good idea but do what you want.

Hi Dave,

Of course, everyone did say it is a bad idea, but my hands my be tied and I might have to do that worst case scenario. I do know someone who has managed to do it without an RC using the same kit, but different pixhawk and optical flow.

Hi everyone,

I’ve listed two links for the frsky R-XSR, which one would be the most suitable?

1 Like

The one from T9 has the option of either the EU LBT or the “Universal” (FCC) firmware. The choice depends on where you are and what is legal to use. The one from Flying Tech has EU LBT as default with the option to flash whatever version you want. Find out what you need based on where you are. Here in the US and other places we use FCC. In Europe and other places it’s EU.

BTW-The Transmitter firmware has to match these choices also.

Hi Dave,

I’m based in the UK so my version would be EU which is fine. What is the transmitter firmware again? If none of these have then I can just carry on searching one with the correct firmware for the EU version.

Presumably the Transmitter will have the EU version of firmware installed so just order the EU version of R-XSR.

Hi Dave,

Thank you, and the T9 version should be fine? Otherwise, I can choose the other one.

Should be yes. But, the Frsky Eco-system of versions is a real mess. Power on that radio and navigate to the System/Version screen and see what’s on it. I forget how to navigate to this, it’s been years since I had a Taranis.

Hi Dave,

This is what I see when I go to the version page.

I can’t upload the picture but I’ve sent a picture of my Dropbox.