IMU challenge in an Autonomous Pi Airplane

*NOTE - I’m not using ArduPilot in my project, but I’m posting this here as I believe there is a lot of knowledge in this forum :slight_smile:

Hi,

I’ve recently built an RC airplane and now I want to add autonomous features using a raspberry pi 4. I wanted to use a (BerryGPS-IMU) for this purpose, but I encountered a problem - when accelerating, the IMU loses its accuracy (probably caused by the non-gravity component of the acceleration which the accelerometer is sensing). Acceleration, of course, will be present at all times during a flight and therefore I cannot allow such inaccuracy (can get to 20 degrees error in pitch and roll angles). I would appreciate any suggestions on how to deal with the problem, recommendations for different IMUs or algorithmic solutions to reduce the error.

Thanks is advance,
Guy

The easiest and most reliable solution is to use a proper flight stack such as Ardupilot running on supported hardware you will save yourself a lot of hedaches.

Without more details, no one can help do anything, and the motivation will be very low, given the unknown software and obscure hardware.

For a similar price, a fully featured autopilot with an STM32 processor and higher quality onboard sensors can be had. Matek systems makes some excellent candidates, among other manufacturers like QioTek and Hex/Cube.