I have a problem with Object avoidance with bendy ruler ( 4.1.0 beta-3 firmware)

I’ve been testing object avoidance and bendy ruler for a while. TF-mini lidar which has Max 12m distance is attached in front of the drone and when i do simple object avoidance, it detect the obstacle and stop very well. But the thing is… when i set the parameters for bendy-ruler, which is in here ex) [(https://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/common-oa-bendyruler.html) and i check on the mission planner that proximity sensor looks fine which appear red line on the map when the lidar detect the obstacle . But the problem is … i made the mission and there are obstacle on the route and i start auto mission,. the drone looks detect the obstacle but it doesn’t keep going to next waypoint and didn’t detour the obstacle, it just hang around and vertically up and down repeatedly. I attach the parameter and video for your guys understand. Is there anyone know how to solve this problem?//

• i know that 4.1.0 Beta firmware has added OA_BR_TYPE =2 ( vertical bendy ruler), i did both horizontal and vertical bendy ruler but don’t work both of them.

• i used not only TF-mini lidar but also TF-02 pro which has 40m max-distance, but didn’t work bendy ruler too

object avoidance with bendyruler parameters.param (18.5 KB)

Video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zDII3C-c6N4mRjGazdlhrIQV3F1Lc1eM/view?usp=sharing

Hi @wjdtn2909
This is a known problem with the path planning algorithm since the S-Curve feature was released a couple of months back. It is not working well. It will certainly be fixed before the stable release (a PR is already in place). Randy had posted a warning in the comments of the 4.1 Copter release post, warning about this issue as well.

This does not affect simple avoidance and so you can use that without any problem.

2 Likes

Thanks for your response . But the matter is , when i tried bendyruler with order firmware like 4.0.7 … it didn’t work well. Same situation happened like what i wrote

@wjdtn2909 can you share a Copter 4.0 log?

1 Like

It’s the same with i already post …

@wjdtn2909 ah I just noticed that you are using a TF-mini or other similar rangefinders.

in 4.0.7 and below we have a small bug that I have also mentioned here:

Sensors like the Lightware Sf40/c should work fine.

This has been fixed in Copter 4.1! its just the BendyRuler problem still exists though which will also be fixed soon. Sorry for the inconvenience. In 4.1 stable hopefully, everything will work out for you.

If you are keen on using BendyRuler till then, you can build this branch (if possible): GitHub - ArduPilot/ardupilot at Copter-4.0
The last change that has been pushed in this branch includes the fix you need for the Benwake rangefinders.

Dear sir,

I mounted one Tf mini lidar on fwd of copter ,As I have tested the obstacle avoidance with the tf mini Lidar ,it was working fine for Simple obstacle Avoidance as when we put for Autonomous flight (Waypoint ),i enabled the Bendy Ruler Algorithm Parameters we put the obstacle and it deviated horizontally properly as we gave the horizontal search/ fence from that and went to the first waypoint but it was not going to the next waypoint it stayed there itself.Can you please help to resolve the issue.we used the latest firmware 4.1.3 only.
Please find the datalogs attached… kindly tell if any parameters… needs to be changed.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YDV5zdkPXaoG351Q1afvkhKlhBD8Wmgu/view?usp=drivesdk