How to start simulation with MAVProxy?

I’m a software engineer and I want to start working with simulations. So I’m trying to follow this tutorial to set up MAVProxy with sim_vehicle.py on my Ubuntu 22.04 install.

As far as I understand I need to have two terminals open;

• one to run sim_vehicle.py --map --console
  • and another one to run the mavproxy.py and insert the described commands in the mavproxy prompt

In the terminal in which I started mavlink.py I then tried running the commands described in the tutorial:

wp load ..\Tools\autotest\Generic_Missions\CMAC-circuit.txt
wp list
mode auto
arm throttle

Unfortunately I only get errors:

Does anybody know what I’m doing wrong here?

That line say :

• run SITL with sim_vehicle.py launcher, and use the default configuration for my vehicle, sim_vehicle.py will launch mavproxy.py by default and connect it to SITL. The prompt you got on the terminal is mavproxy.py
  • load map plugin on mavproxy
  • load console plugin on mavproxy.

So you on your first picture, you got mavproxy.py launched by sim_vehicle.py. the --sitl you see is the default configuration loaded with sim_vehicle.py that allow to have a true RC simulation on SITL with Mavproxy and not using mavlink messages such as RC_OVERRIDE.

On your second terminal, your mavproxy instance launched but don’t have a master aka a main MAVLink device to speak with. That is why the second terminal show a failure.

Awesome, thanks @khancyr! Now I’ve got it working.

One more question. I see a lot of info in these windows, but I don’t see anything about the current setting of the actuators (rudder/elevator/ailerons). Do you know where I can see their current setting so I can see what the plane actually does to achieve the current flight path?