How to setup RTK on rover

Hi Everyone.

I’m trying to set up rtk to run on rover. My gps module on the rover is Here3 M8P

My base module is Unicore UM980. When I connect on Mission planner, I display it as rtk Float, but it does not switch to rtk fix mode. rtk remains float and rover is constantly navigating the map. I’m using 3DR/SIK 433MHz telemetry.

note: my rover and base module are outdoors.

How can I switch to rtk fix mode?

You can’t just switch it to RTK Fixed. Fix quality is a function of signal quality/stability on both sides. The M8P isn’t always a great choice when you want to maintain an RTK Fixed solution, in my experience. An F9 or M10 variant may produce better results.

2 Likes

You can try a few things to get that:

• Keep the GPS still.
  • Choose a location with open sky and no surrounding objects.
  • Choose a better day: http://gnssplanning.com (lower predicted HDOP)
  • It is easier to test with the u-blox utility alone.

For example, on ideal conditions, I could test two GPS’s together at the time. With both on RTK Fixed the reported coordinates difference was the same as their physical separation (both oriented NS and EW).

Hi;

I noticed something. the firmware used by the m8p gps module I use is not for rover. m8p also has a firmware made for rover, but I couldn’t find how to install it. i tried it via ublox centre but it didn’t work. could it be related to this that rtk does not go to fix?

I can also find quite a lot of satellites with the um980 I use as a base module.

You will need to use the legacy firmware update mode. the m8p isn’t a very good RTK GPS receiver, realistically float is about as good as it gets, it can do RTK fix but its intermittent at best even under ideal conditions. I spent months trying to get a set of these working when they were first released as they were selling them with the new pixhawk 2 cube that also just came out. I tried everything to get RTK fix but failed and the manufacturer failed to mention that slight issue that it would never get a stable RTK fix so was essentially useless for professional RTK use.

these are much better receviers, they are a fraction of the price and dual band so work as good as a f9p.

https://content.u-blox.com/sites/default/files/NEO-M8P-FW301-HPG140_RNwithFW.zip

1 Like

I don’t often see RTK fixed with a Here3 M8P. Ntrip source <5km’s away.
YGWYPF

1 Like